Mobile phones - internet access

Precious present

I'm not sure whether I've posted this in the right section, but can anyone tell me what's the best thing to do to get internet access on our mobiles (iPhones) when we come out for our validation trip in April. Would we buy Aussie simcards and then get 3G (or equivalent) out and about and/or wifi in wifi hotspots? Anyone that knows (and can offer tips) this would be useful as will need some sort of mobile internet access when we're there and don't want it to cost a fortune.

Many thanks.

Guest Richie_T

If you are coming for a short visit, I wouldnt recommend buying off the main carriers as they are a big rip off for pay as you go. Go into any newsagent and get yourself a Lebara or Gotalk mobile sim. (check out their oz website)

They have good tariffs to call aussie numbers and call back to the Uk too. They also include a certain amount of free data allowance, and unlimited facebookand social media usage ontop of that. If you do need a microsim though for an iPhone4 or 4S, you could cut up the larger simcard which you get with the cheaper providers, or you will have to use one of the main carriers.

Had my gf come over very recently for a visit so thats what I did.

There are a few wifi hot spots around the Adelaide city area and in some suburbs - https://hotspot.internode.on.net/coverage/index.php (select the SA state) - depending on where you stay they may have it there also but usually they charge a bit in the bigger hotel chains. I went to Darwin last year and the free wifi spots in the supermarkets was adequate to catch up on emails.

Thanks for the advice. We will have internet access in the place we're staying in Hallett Cove, but just wanted to have freedom to go online on the move. We are over for a couple of weeks and coming back permanently later in the year. We currently have iPhone 3S but were thinking of updating to the 4S. Is what you are saying we could only use one of the main carriers if we did update (which would restrict our options)?

Guest Helchops

Not being on a contract doesn't guarantee unlocking. If you bought directly from apple sim free, it will be unlocked. If you got it PAYG from a UK provider, it's probably locked. If so, ring them and some (like O2) can unlock it!

Guest Helchops
Yeah, I am on O2 PAYG, but will ring O2 to check as it may well be locked, cheers for the advice. And I will turn off the roaming!

O2 do it free of charge but it takes a few days iirc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My advice would be to get a Telstra pay go sim (pre pay) $30 on the encore cap and you get $250 to spend on what you want, 500mb data free txts and calls in the evening within oz. They have by far the best coverage and the fastest network, we tried Optus and Vodafone and found they both drop out frequently on 3G (we have iPhone 4) they will give you a micro sim or normal sim no worries. Don't forget to take ID to the shop as you can't seem to buy anything like that without it. We call the uk on ours quite often and can't seem to use the credit by the end of the month so I think it's a good deal.

Hope this helps.