Optus Fixed Broadband - any good?

Guest Dazzlin

Guest Dazzlin

Hi all,

We need a phone and broadband package for a rental property we're moving into. Having looked around, Optus' Home Advantage Plan seems the best value ($60 per month for phone and 50GB internet). I know that many others have recommended Adam but we're reluctant to forego the home phone, and their TV package is more expensive than Optus.

I'm interested to hear if anyone knows what Optus' quality of service is like e.g. is it reliable, are the speeds okay, etc.

Daren

We've got Optus and so far so good, never let us down and usually does well with Skype. Only been offline once but that was due to a storm and when we rang up customer service was excellent. (had to use the mobile and they rang back straight away to save the cost)

Guest Mitchell
Hi all,

We need a phone and broadband package for a rental property we're moving into. Having looked around, Optus' Home Advantage Plan seems the best value ($60 per month for phone and 50GB internet). I know that many others have recommended Adam but we're reluctant to forego the home phone, and their TV package is more expensive than Optus.

I'm interested to hear if anyone knows what Optus' quality of service is like e.g. is it reliable, are the speeds okay, etc.

Daren

I was with Optus for a while and the service is fine and customer service is good. Just a note on a home phone with Adam (who I'm with now) you don't need one to get a naked service with them and you can get a VoIP phone. This means their modem has a port you can plug any normal Aussie phone into and it works just like a landline. You have a real phone number so no one phoning you will notice any difference. They real bonus with VoIP phones, which route the call over the Internet instead of the phone system is the cost. I'm paying 1 cent a minute to phone the uk! Much cheaper than a normal phone and great for keeping in touch.

We have been with Optus for over 2 years and no problems at all until recently when the modem started playing up. Definitaly the modem as had the same problem in 2 different houses. Found we kept going round and round in circles with the service desk, wasted so much time, so have decided to cancel and go with Telstra (out of the frying pan into the fire maybe? - hope not). Also in our new place we have Ultimate cable with Telstra which has a download speed up to 100 mbps (getting less than 5 mbps with the Optus adsl) so hopefully will be much better. Having to use a dongle at the moment because the Optus modem is so unreliable so can't wait for the new installation.