Saffron - Retail Prices?

Guest ali

Guest Sachertorte

Hi Ali,

Good quality saffron is very expensive here and it depends on the grade you are after? Spanish saffron is not really imported here, the best places I found reasonably good saffron threads from Kashmir are the Indian shops. You can find boxes containing 1 tablespoon of strands for around $6. I would not look in a supermarket, as they have mostly adulterated staff (eg not pure and mixed with fibres from other vegetables) and it is quite expensive for what it is.

Infuse it in small amounts of very hot water really well before use to make sure you maximise the flavour from smaller quantities....

Edited by Sachertorte
price added

Hi Ali,

Good quality saffron is very expensive here and it depends on the grade you are after? Spanish saffron is not really imported here, the best places I found reasonably good saffron threads from Kashmir are the Indian shops. You can find boxes containing 1 tablespoon of strands for around $6. I would not look in a supermarket, as they have mostly adulterated staff (eg not pure and mixed with fibres from other vegetables) and it is quite expensive for what it is.

Infuse it in small amounts of very hot water really well before use to make sure you maximise the flavour from smaller quantities....

Hi Sachertorte,

Thank you for the response. I need to point something out, Spanish Saffron is actually Iranian Saffron exported to Spain in bulk and packaged there. Reason I'm asking is that I've got the exclusive distributorship rights for Australia of some Saffron producers and wanted to compare prices. Do you know what the one tablespoon strand weighs?

Thank you again, very insightful information. :smile:

You can purchase Hoyts Pure Saffron threads in most supermarkets aat approximately $14.00 per 10 grams.Hoyts a herb and spice company distribute Aussie grown saffron, from Tassaff to supermarkets throught Australia.

10 grams for $14.00 that makes it $1400.00/KG which is very cheap! Iran is the largest producer and the biggest exporter of Saffron and we get much more expensive over here! Thank you:smile:

Guest Sachertorte

Hi Ali,

I just checked the weight (sorry I was busy yesterday and did not get round finding the specific box). The weight of the pure threads is 1 (one) gram. That makes it $6000/kg.

I would be interested to find out more on wholesale prices of pure threads from you as I have an artisan baking business. Please PM me when you are ready to trade.

Guest Sachertorte
Hi Sachertorte,

Thank you for the response. I need to point something out, Spanish Saffron is actually Iranian Saffron exported to Spain in bulk and packaged there.

Hi Ali,

Of course, that makes sense as Iran is the largest producer of saffron in the world. There is also a small amount grown in Spain and Sardinia in Italy (where I come from) and I knew of a few growers there and used to get my saffron locally.

Hi Ali,

Of course, that makes sense as Iran is the largest producer of saffron in the world. There is also a small amount grown in Spain and Sardinia in Italy (where I come from) and I knew of a few growers there and used to get my saffron locally.

Hi Sachertorte,:smile:

So you're Italian and my God can Italians cook:smile: I will message you in a couple of weeks once I've figured out how I will need to go about the Saffron business. I think it'll be a side business unless it does well.

Good luck with your business and hopefully we'll start a business relationship as well:smile:

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Saffron Bunch

Sargol-Bunch-Saffron.jpg

Saffron Poshal

885632_dcbbdb56b8e67ca798e1a4411042ce49.jpg

Saffron Sargol

sargol.jpg

These are the types of Saffron I will be importing in Australia. Mostly Sargol (highest quality Saffron) and Poshal though. I've been in contact with Australian quarantine, customs and Austrade and they have been wonderful. Other than Saffron, Herbal Tea, Fruit Tea, Pink Rose Buds and Petals and Pitachios are on my list. I will start very slowly as I don't have the money to start big and it will be a side business unless it proves worthwhile.

Will be needing a lot of advice on registering a brand and a home based business in Australia though.

Thought I would keep you guys posted. :smile:

Cheers