white tip

Guest dglamoore

Guest donna T

I have just looked at the link - and some on the links off that - I think I might lose my lunch - DISGUSTING!!

I really am worried about the crawly, jumping, moving things. I think I will get some of those house 'bombs' on a regular basis. I know it's not very friendly but I cannot bear the thought of those crawling around near me or the kids - yeauch!

Hi,

Talking of the house bombs my 12 year old daughter has been on some website i dont know where and she has printed me a page of instuctions all about the house bombs how to use them where is the best place to buy them which ones are best, she is petrified :shock: ,did you look at the bite pictures, one guys wound looked like a pizza on his leg.

I have heard that one breed of spider is renound for climbing in cars christ could you imagine one popping up on your dashboard, but i read somewhere that if you go out looking for them you will find them SO DONT LOOK is the answer i think :?

Hayls

:shock:

I must admit i had started to hyperventilate until cameron pointed out that they were american spiders one even found in tennessee where we went last year,and he told me i didnt worry about them or see them there so it will be the same in oz :shock: [i tell you i am going to have to learn how to sleep with my eyes open].

Snakes dont worry me really as we kept them when i was you little so i feel slightly more educated about them ,not that, that means one wont bite me!

Hayls :D

• 2 weeks later...

I think we must eventually get used to spiders and the like....I think if in doubt just swot it with a shoe?!??! Not very nice as I normally do my very best to save any spiders I see over here, I mean its second nature for me to rescue one from the bath....not sure I will dare to do this in Oz!

I think we did have a close encounter with a red back whilst out in Oz, but to be honest it seemed more intent in minding its own business.....

I suppose I should really have a look at the site??? DARE I?????

:?

Oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I am completely freaked out now!!!!

After studying the red back I can now confirm thats what we had in one of our bedrooms!!!!!

Where can I get one of these spider bomb things from? How often do you have to use them???????? :?

Morning all,

I've been here now for two years and NEVER seen a white tip spider, seen plenty of redbacks and Huntsman spiders though.

Gheko's are the most common house visitor along with other small lizzards locusts, Grasshoppers and praying Mantis.

This page (hopefully but if not click the link for GARDEN VISITORS) shows some of the creatures that we've found in the garden and house, where we could we've put a CD near the insect to show it's size.

http://www.geocities.com/apomdownunder/garden.html

I've got add this pic of a Cicada (which was on our front door screen)

100_0705copy.jpg

and this pic of a Saunders case moth in it's bug stage to add yet and I'm waiting for the Saunders case moth to come out of it's cacoon, it's now attached itself to my fence while it changes from bug to moth. I really hope it changes before I move, I so want to see it.

grub2.jpg

Wow those pics were great ,to look at i dont know if i will think so when i see them for real, i think i can cope with most things but bloody killer spiders :shock: I can see it now me, cam and the girls all in one bed :lol: But what an adventure!!!!

Hayls

Thanks for the pics :?

Guest dglamoore

Hate spiders too and will be stocking up on bombs and bug spray :lol: :lol: :lol:

The worst thing is we have always told Dawn there is nothing to be afriad of when she sees a spider and now we are having to re-educate her to leave them alone!!

Lisa :D

My eldest son Bradley said theres 2 things hes not doing in Oz.

1) scuba diving with sharks!

2) touching any spiders!

My GOD I will have to watch what I say, hes only 10 but has obviously heard us adults talking, his dad wants to go in cage with sharks swimming around him & we sort of ALL hate spiders, especially the deadly ones :!: :!:

Angela

We just keep a can of Bug spray in the cupboard and if we're not sure about the bug, we give it a good lung full of spray.

When I see a spider I've never seen before I keep away from it and search the internet for it, it gets squirted with bug spray if the info I find says it's not a nice bug or if I can't find any info at all about it.

Redbacks are not as dangerous as we brits think, a female my hubby works with got bit on the bum (one had settled in her shorts without her knowing) by one last year, she just took a day off work to get over the woozy, cold like symptoms resulting form the bite.

The huntsmans bite is similar to a wasp sting and no more dangerous.

Ants are a pain though, there are so many different types, green ants bite anything in their path and fire ants are quite nasty, the council go round twice a year here in QLD to treat all public areas and private gardens for against fire ants, it is an offense to deny them access to your garden.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest75
Hi every body,

I have been checking out the old creepy crawlies and have heard that a spider called the white tip is worse than a red back, what can it do and what do they look like? does any body know.

thanks Hayls :shock:

LOL

We live in an area that is full of creepy and bitey things.

I am head pest control in Tyke Towers.

Handy tip #23679.

Hairspray is a wonderful approach to spider control.

Our pool has a rock wall to one side and does house the odd Redback.I hate spraying near the pool with insecticide.So I nick Mrs Tyke's hairspray and give em' a squirt - they ain't going anywhere after that.

White Tips are not quite as bad as they are made out to be.It is rare to be bitten and infected by the flesh eating disease.I've spoken at length to enthusiastic people down at the natural history museum - they love questions.

We also have scorpions visiting now and again but they are only an inch long and sting is similar to a bee.Same goes for the 5 inch long centipedes we see.

Snakes are a problem here.We have actually had one in the house

:shock: :shock:

I was in town ,Mrs Tyke had nearly walked on it (Brown snake) and it did try and strike.I told her to take the dog ,leave all the doors open and go to our neighbors.When I returned (breaking all speed limits) I searched the house but could not find it.

I worry about our 3 dogs as well,they chase the Blue Tongue lizards and would definitely have a go at a snake being Terriers.There is little help if a dog is bitten :cry:

On the plus side we do see some lovely wild life around the place.We have had Roo's in the bottom pasture and at the moment there are a lot of Koala's around searching for food after the recent bushfires in the hills at the back of us.

Mornings and evenings are never quiet with a cacophony of Galahs,Sulphur Crested Cockatoos and various other noisy birds .

Guest dglamoore
We regularly get white tips in our house. I've been bitten once as well. Still here to tell the tale. We always have a can of Mortein handy. :lol:

Where can I buy it in bulk :lol: :lol:

Lisa

Guest Guest75
This may sound like ignorance on my part but IF you get a snake in the house apart from running in the oppsite direction and leaving the doors open what do you do? Is there a snake buster?

Do children in school (have two liitle ones aged 5 and 2) get taught about said nasties?

Lindsey

If you are very close to a snake - freeze.I know it is hard to do but you really don't want to startle or annoy the thing any further.

THEN walk away calmly in the opposite direction.This is VERY hard to do I know,possibly one of the hardest things that Mrs Tyke has had to to.

Yes,leave the house with all of the doors open.Mrs Tyke did and the snake went.

There are many snake catchers here.

I don't think the schools really teach about snakes and such.

It's taught by your own parents.

I did go on a Senior First Aid course and it does include much about bites and stings.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I live with plenty of redbacks (even had a close look) and they don't go anywhere near you. Huntsmen are all over the garden. White tips come into the house during the warmer summer months and are generally found around the 2m height mark on walls (apparently is cooler there).

Snakes - you can do a snake handling course with Living with Wildlife. I did, and got to "play" with Brown Snakes, Red Bellied Black Snakes and Death Adders. Each one of them a killer. The simple rule has already been stated: You do not move. The snake can't see you, it only feels you around. The brown snake is normally elusive and will not attack, it is long gone if it hears you coming as it feels the vibrations - so always walk heavy. If you are in the bush make sure you wear boots and thick jeans - NEVER EVER put your hands in the bush or in rocks where you can't see it. If a brown snakes bites you would think you might just have scratched your hand on a bush, it is that light.

In all my time in the hills here I have only had 1 brown snake pass my door, none have ever got in. Just keep the doors closed and you will be fine.

Sharks are around but you are more likely to be run over by a mob of kangaroos than eaten by a shark!