Huntsman Spiders

cribber

My Wife and Son are terrified of spiders and since my Wife has seen the size of Huntsmans she's been having reservations on our planned move.

Realistically how often are you likely to see them inside the house if you're in the Adelaide suburbs? And what's their favourite hiding places? not in your bed hopefully......... lol

Paul.

Guest Guest75
My Wife and Son are terrified of spiders and since my Wife has seen the size of Huntsmans she's been having reservations on our planned move.

Realistically how often are you likely to see them inside the house if you're in the Adelaide suburbs? And what's their favourite hiding places? not in your bed hopefully......... lol

Paul.

Hiya Paul.

Seriously - in suburbia you do not see them often at all.Perhaps one in the mailbox now and again.Normally I have seen them on the walls or the windows outside, but they are good for catching flies!!

I certainly don't think you should not come due to Huntsmans. If you live in a more rural area (as we do) you might see a few more beasties.Friends who live in the more built up areas don't see that many at all.I do think the bugs and beasties are a little over - hyped here.

Please don't let the odd spider ruin your plans :)

Guest Guest75

Here is a poll done recently

What bothers you most about the wildlife in Adelaide?

Not in Adelaide yet - Spiders [ 6 ] [8.22%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Snakes [ 1 ] [1.37%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Mossies [ 5 ] [6.85%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Ants [ 2 ] [2.74%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Cockroaches [ 3 ] [4.11%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Spiders [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Snakes [ 0 ] [0.00%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Mossies [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Ants [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Cockroaches [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Spiders [ 3 ] [4.11%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Snakes [ 6 ] [8.22%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Mossies [ 19 ] [26.03%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Ants [ 17 ] [23.29%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Cockroaches [ 7 ] [9.59%]

Guest dglamoore

I used to have a huge (and I mean huge!!!!) phobia of spiders. Would not even go in a room if I had seen a spider in it :shock: Then we moved to a house with a big garden and get a lot of spiders in the house - not so small most of them (for uk spiders that is) and have found myself gradually getting used to them.

Still not looking forward to my first encounter with a huntsman and plan to always have a bucket and brick round (glass just won't be big enough to trap the little beggar :roll: ) to keep him 'safe' til Greg gets home :lol:

Lisa

Guest jen&ian

I'm glad I'm not the only one with spider issues. I am absolutely terrified of them too. I have been forcing myself to find out as much as possible about them, it's a know your enemy kind of a thing :shock:

There are some very good threads on them on a certain other brightly coloured forum,(am I allowed to mention them? :wink: )

I'm just going to arm myself with bug spray and suck them up the hoover. Sorry if thats un-pc any bug lovers out there.

Jen :D

Guest pasha

i lived in adelaide for many years (metro and hills areas) and you will generally find huntsmen near letter boxes, at the top of brush fencing (you will find out what this is!!) and often only at night. Very rarely inside the house. Huntsmen are absolutely harmless, dont move much and eat bugs so do not worry about them.

If you end up living in the hills areas it is the millipedes you will hate

Guest dglamoore
There are some very good threads on them on a certain other brightly coloured forum,(am I allowed to mention them? :wink: )

There are more spider threads on this site too -

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=137

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41

Not sure Tim would like us all sending everyone to other forums when he works so hard on this one :lol:

Lisa :D

Here is a poll done recently

What bothers you most about the wildlife in Adelaide?

Not in Adelaide yet - Spiders [ 6 ] [8.22%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Snakes [ 1 ] [1.37%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Mossies [ 5 ] [6.85%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Ants [ 2 ] [2.74%]

Not in Adelaide yet - Cockroaches [ 3 ] [4.11%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Spiders [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Snakes [ 0 ] [0.00%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Mossies [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Ants [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide under 6 weeks - Cockroaches [ 1 ] [1.37%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Spiders [ 3 ] [4.11%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Snakes [ 6 ] [8.22%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Mossies [ 19 ] [26.03%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Ants [ 17 ] [23.29%]

In Adelaide more than 6 weeks - Cockroaches [ 7 ] [9.59%]

As an expat Adelaidean about to return after 10 years away, I most dread the damned cockies (cockroaches). For years my family lived on the edge of a national park (Black Hill, in Athelstone) so encountered a few snakes in early years, though latterly fewer, since a few more houses went up between us and the park. Mossies are annoying, ants too, but the cockies get into *everything*. You will learn to seal up jars, not leave food out overnight and wipe down food surfaces. They come in quite a number of varieties, the big ugly black ones that are intelligent enough to learn where you keep food, the enormous great red ones that live in drains but tend not to come into houses much and the wee striped ones, that are only little but still annoying - well they're cockies, of course they're annoying. There are also bush cockies, the dull brown flying ones that seem to only inhabit areas on the edge of cities and get blown in when you have the gully winds in the evenings.

As for spiders, I always used to just bash 'em. My husband and other Poms always thought this was a bit extreme, but when they have the potential to land you in hospital, you tend to squash first, then ask questions later. OK I don't bash huntsmans, but they're pretty big and would make a vile mess :-p I do however bash cockies, and yes they do make a mess but it's better than having them scooting around the house. And they're so quick that catching them in a jar is not easy!

Don't let the hunstmans bother you. They're fine as long as they aren't in the room you're sleeping in - not that they will fall off the ceiling but you always imagine they might :-)

My favourite wildlife creature are the nice little geckoes. These are your friends and will eat flies and whatever else they can catch. Not sure if they eat huntsmans??

Oh, nearly forgot - there are "inch ants" around the parks areas of Adelaide. Haven't seen any in inhabited areas, but have encountered them walking through the Black Hill part. They really are around an inch long!

Hooroo

Helen.

Guest Guest75

Good post Helen :D

We live on the rural edge of Adelaide and do see a lot of Inch Ants here.I've had a few bites now and boy they bring tears to your eyes.I don't think I have ever seen one in the house fortunately.

Walking around the house last night I spotted three of the little blighter's.They do take some squishing!

Now it is becoming cooler and damper we start to see the millipedes as well - lots of them!I've tried all sorts to keep em' out (they don't bite or anything).

The latest tip is they are attracted to light so keep outside lighting and open windows to a minimum.Perhaps have a couple of cheap solar lights with a bit of pea straw around them in the garden to distract them.

Guest pasha

in all my time living in adelaide - inner urban mostly, i have not seen that many cockroaches. Certainly nothing compared to QLD and NT.

I also have to admit that i do not know what an inch ant is? do you mean a bull ant?

I will say though, as a home owner back in Adelaide, all bugs/insects pale in comparison against termites!!!!

I hate this little buggers....

Guest Guest75
in all my time living in adelaide - inner urban mostly, i have not seen that many cockroaches. Certainly nothing compared to QLD and NT.

I also have to admit that i do not know what an inch ant is? do you mean a bull ant?

I will say though, as a home owner back in Adelaide, all bugs/insects pale in comparison against termites!!!!

I hate this little buggers....

Must agree that we do not see many roaches here - probably because the Inch ants eat them all!

Inch ants are definitely an inch long and a lot bigger than bull ants - far more "attitude" as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hayls

Hi everybody,

Well ive been here 3 months and live in mount barker [the hills] and have red backs in the garage they dont bother me , the girls know what they look like and leave well alone they dont seem to want to come in the house i have removed 3 white tips from the house and seen the odd cocroach,and a few large ants but the thing that bloody drive me nuts are the millipedes i dont know how thay get through locked windows and doors but they do and the front of the house is covered every morning and they stink i must of swept about 300 of them up the other day, they are from portugal apparently, wish they would b****r off back there.

I have not seen a huntsman yet or a wolf spider, i have seen a kangaroo on the road side and a koala and some lizards and loads of gorgeous birds the girls think its great that we have parrots in the garden and have taken to putting seed out for them and looking every bird up they see in the bird book something they would never dreamed of doing at home!!!!!!

bye for now Hayls

• 1 month later...
Guest Keel

I am terrified of spiders.I've looked at the spider thread and had to get my other half to hold the laptop because of the pictures.Im shivering now! Does anyone know of anyone who has attended any spider therapy courses? Theres one at London Zoo involving hypnotherapy.At the end of the day they claim i'll be holding a tarantula!! Really cant see that happening but i'd try anything to try get rid of this fear.Can anyone help?

Guest adiford

Hi all, have just been reading about all the SPIDERS!!! in OZ. Both my wife and I are TERRIFIED of the little (big) things!!!. We are both under no illusions about the size and type of spiders in OZ , but its not putting us off.

In haome at the mo we have whats called a spider catcher (a 2meter long flat headed mop!!!!!!) which gets used alot. I am getting better at picking them up in tissue if needs be, but still have a problem with the bigger ones!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dunnarunna

hi hayley

i tried to send you a pm but your message box is full i was wondering if you`d be able to give me some info on mount barker area

thanks donna

Guest Kiki

All I can say is the joys of times to come.

Now Im not a spider lover at all but think I will cope hopefully. The kids and my OH im not too sure about. OH will be okay with creepy crawlies on the ground but god forbid anything that flies. Imagine 6ft 2inches flapping arms and jumping around. Not a good sight to see. The kids seemed to have developed his technicques. Very scary. :mad:

Not looking forward to millipeds and ants though Yuck!!

Kimberley and CO:confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hayls

hi,

my mum has posted me a spider and insect catcher its like a tube with a handle and there is a stopper on the end of the tube to keep the beastie in once you have pressed your button and sucked it up its battery operated, bit like a minnie hoover, as i dont like killing things so they just get whizzed over next doors fence only joking, but its great it means my girls dont scream for me to come and get rid of the spiders they just do it themselves, we use it that much my mum is sending me another, mind u i did crap my self when one ran down the outside of the tube not the inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hayls

Guest deb and stoo

Spiders and bugs is something we've thought about too but we have the solution..................a 'Bettaware Bug catcher' basically a little compartment with a slidy door on,on a stick that you put over the bug,shut the door then tip it outside............trouble is seeing the size of a Huntsman we'll need one about 3 times the size....can imagine it turning round,snaping the stick in half and laughing.........still they were there before us.:) And sure there must be sprays and traps etc for the little buggars..........at least no fire ants as in the south of America..now thems nasty little critters.;)

:)

I have to say we really don't get many spiders. I guess everyone's experience will be different, but we don't even spray round the house any more. Obviously I keep an eye out for them and have found a few, but they aren't the big problem people seem to think they will be. IMHO.

Millipedes are fab! Flick them and they coil up and whizz across the tiles. Betting on them just increases the fun! If only we got them more regularly...:D As for cockroaches, we've only had a couple of the garden variety that have wandered in after the rain. Bad decision on their part!

LC

Guest dglamoore

We have not seen any spiders here since we arrived in our home so hopefully it stays that way :) We did see a white tip whilst visiting Tyke towers but i believe that followed the path of Nemo ;)

Lisa:cool:

Guest donna T

In the 3 mnths we have been here - I have only seen one huntsman, and that was within 20 minutes of getting through the door of the OAA in Novar Gardens - thought God was tkaing the micky somewhat.

Since then, have only seen ants, millipedes and a few smaller house spiders. I still check under the car sun-visors and let the children go to the post box as they don't seem bothered! (joke).

Before we came, I was considering hypnotherapy I was so worried but it is fine once youa re here - honest:D

Guest Russfamily

the Huntsman may be big but its not very dangerous, the female red back is smaller and 100 times more dangerous, remember size does not matter so they say. All you do need to know is if the spider is black put your size 10 on it and chuck it outside, all the others you catch and chuck out side

• 1 month later...
Guest Jon&Sarah

Hi I am very scared of spiders and I to have been looking at the London zoo course, if you would like to meet up and to together I would like to do it with someone who is going to Oz, however, I do not want to hold a tarantual either!!!!!!! (perhaps we could just refuse to do this bit!) Anyway, let me know, we are going out September 20th, but I can go anytime soon cos I am a teacher and will soon have no work!!!!! Speak soon, sarah