is there somewhere we can rent furniture until ours arrive.........

Guest K.gordon

Guest K.gordon

hi all, well the removal peeps are coming this Thursday to pack our house up......will be travelling to Adelaide end of August and hopefully would have found a rental in the meantime. I was just wondering if there was anywhere we can go to hire furniture for a short while whilst waiting for ours to arrive. Just the usual beds, tv, washing machine, fridge freezer etc. We'll be in the southern suburbs (not exactly sure where yet). Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you :notworthy:

Guest BackToAdelaide

Another option is to buy things that are either cheap or can be used for a different purpose. So, for example, you could buy an outdoor dining setting and use that at first as your indoor dining table. And camping/inflatable beds are fine to sleep on for maybe a week or two (it's what we did). Then you have a backup later on if you have visitors or use it for camping. Could get a cheap brand TV to make do for a bit and then put it in the spare room/kids' bedroom. Get a second-hand fridge/freezer to use for now and keep it as a beer fridge later. And don't even worry about a washing machine. When the washer in our rental in the UK broke down we used the laundrette for a couple of weeks (landlord was slow). Wasn't ideal but only cost a few pounds and was hardly a massive inconvenience.

Of course these options won't suit everyone and may be more or less appropriate depending on how long you will actually be without your own things for. Just thought I'd throw some alternatives out there. Also bear in mind that any short-term or holiday rental houses will have all the furniture and amenities you will need so you will be covered for the first few weeks I'd imagine.

Another option is to buy things that are either cheap or can be used for a different purpose. So, for example, you could buy an outdoor dining setting and use that at first as your indoor dining table. And camping/inflatable beds are fine to sleep on for maybe a week or two (it's what we did). Then you have a backup later on if you have visitors or use it for camping. Could get a cheap brand TV to make do for a bit and then put it in the spare room/kids' bedroom. Get a second-hand fridge/freezer to use for now and keep it as a beer fridge later. And don't even worry about a washing machine. When the washer in our rental in the UK broke down we used the laundrette for a couple of weeks (landlord was slow). Wasn't ideal but only cost a few pounds and was hardly a massive inconvenience.

Of course these options won't suit everyone and may be more or less appropriate depending on how long you will actually be without your own things for. Just thought I'd throw some alternatives out there. Also bear in mind that any short-term or holiday rental houses will have all the furniture and amenities you will need so you will be covered for the first few weeks I'd imagine.

Great post :-) We had to wait ages and used the following company who were really good. BUT not a cheap option by far.

http://www.argusfurniturerentals.com.au/

Gumtree is a great option too, and then you can sell it again when your stuff arrives xx

Guest K.gordon

Thank you for your very useful ideas, wouldn't have thought about most of that!! Will have a look at websites offered too, its going to be fun fun fun!! Thanks again :rolleyes:

Guest cooksinparadise

Hi there,

We rented a fully furnished house until all our stuff arrived and that worked out well for us. It wasnt the cheapest option though! There are alot of 'OP shops' (charity shops to you and I)!! where you

can buy cheap furniture so thats an option too.

Good luck

Yvonne

• 3 weeks later...
Guest K.gordon

an update to my earlier post - we arrive in Adelaide on 12th October and have been informed our furniture will arrive (hopefully) on 10th October - great timing don't you think......well chuffed I don't have to go out and buy anything big to 'make do'. We will need a second hand washing machine upon arrival so if anyone knows of anyone selling one please pm me. thank you, Kate

Guest Adelaideboundsam

Hi slightly off topic but we are from Stapleford in Nottingham and we arrive in Adelaide on 10th September, where about's in Notts are you?

Small world?

Sam

There is a website called Adelaide Gumtree, it is a public domain site where people can sell their items they no longer want or need. You can get a bargain or two on there and it also has a freebies section, where you might be able to pick up some bits and pieces for free and pass on when finished with it.

It all depends on what you want need etc. as there are also markets and garage sales here too, where you can pick up crockery, bedding etc for next to nothing. Which will help keep you going.

Guest K.gordon

Hi there, were from Annesley Woodhouse, just off J27 M1 - finally rented our house and are with parents in Luton til the big day. Good luck with your move :)

Guest patsmb

Notice you said you were bringing your TV -check out first if it will work here in Oz DVD Players etc another problem as Australia is a different region

I even had problem with ink cartridges in my printer -new one I bought in Adelaide looked identical but would not work had to reprogramme the printer beleive it or not

Guest Chris Mark

Hi we are also heading for Adelaide end of Aug, we will look for an unfurnished place once we are there. Our furniture leaves on Tues. We are rented a furnished apartment which was reasonably priced for the first 4 weeks.

Guest abbiedog

hi, small world we are from South normanton ND WE ARRIVE IN ADELAIDE on september 14th , wher abouts are you goijng to be? we are in verdun near Mount barker.

Guest Adelaideboundsam

Hi we are from Stapleford and are currently staying in Hucknall with my Mum as we have sold our house. We have a short term rental in West Beach when we get there. We arrive on the 6th September.

Sam

• 1 month later...
Guest Shandalina
Hi we are also heading for Adelaide end of Aug, we will look for an unfurnished place once we are there. Our furniture leaves on Tues. We are rented a furnished apartment which was reasonably priced for the first 4 weeks.

Hi there- could you advise what rental agency you used that could offer you a 4 week furnished rental option? If its possible, can you advise what that months rental cost was in $'s. Many thanks

Hi there- could you advise what rental agency you used that could offer you a 4 week furnished rental option? If its possible, can you advise what that months rental cost was in $'s. Many thanks

There are some PIA members who have furnished rentals - check out the accommodation available section http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/accommodation-available/

There is also http://www.adelaideshorttermrentals.com.au and http://www.rentahome.com.au

Rates vary amongst different rentals.