What do I need to know about buying a car?

Guest AngPhil

Guest AngPhil

This maybe a really stupid question, but what do I need to do legally when buying a car in Australia?

In the UK, you need to make sure it is taxed, insured, done the registration check thing and then get your copy of the logbook. What is the process in Auz?

Have a dreamt that there is a luxury car tax/fee too?

Any help would be greatly received. This is going to be one of our first jobs and I don't want to get arrested in our first week!

Ang

Guest AngPhil

Thank you. Just sold our car yesterday 2007 Renault Senic for £3500. Don't think we'll get much with that in Auz :(

Can't wait to arrive now :)

Guest vikkiann

Not a lot at all!

We bought a 2001 Safire, apparently I got a good deal but it was from a Pom returning to the uk. It cost us $6500.

Cars are so expensive here. Just make sure you get it checked out as mot doesn't exist here so you could be buying a pile of rubbish.

Also, don't tell them you've just arrived.

Itseasy though, as long as it has rego you can just drive it away then go to the rego office, register it and pay the stamp duty!

Guest Paula H
Thank you. Just sold our car yesterday 2007 Renault Senic for £3500. Don't think we'll get much with that in Auz :(

Can't wait to arrive now :)

I have a Renault scenic to sell soon.... Did you sell it easily?

Guest AngPhil
I have a Renault scenic to sell soon.... Did you sell it easily?

To be honest, no. We put it on autotrader £800 below the lowest valuation and we didn't get 1 phone call. I then put it on ebay and had an offer of £2500. I put an advert in the local post office for £4000 and had one person round and got £3500.

It never crossed our minds that we'd have a problem selling it. Our was a 5 seater 57 plate. I think the 7 seaters may sell a bit quicker. Good luck x

Guest Crushfamily

You could always bring it with you - use a shared container all duties and vehicle inspection for around 3K sterling. Financially you'll still be better off than buying a 10yr old 7 seater which is probably the equivalent of a 2007 Scenic

Edited by Crushfamily
grammar

Guest Woody and Jane

If buying privately when filling in the form that says how much you bought it for don't put the actual amount, always put less. When you pay your stamp duty the amount you pay is based on the price you say you paid for it. It's always a shock how much it is when you buy a car.

Although often if you buy through a car dealer this is all bundled into the price, it's called the on the road price.

If buying privately when filling in the form that says how much you bought it for don't put the actual amount, always put less. When you pay your stamp duty the amount you pay is based on the price you say you paid for it. It's always a shock how much it is when you buy a car.

Is this not technically fraud? Lying on a legal document? Personally, I'd put the actual amount paid. Saving $50-$100 isn't worth commuting fraud for.

Just one simple decision to make. Landcruiser or patrol ?

I've driven both here in the UK and for me the Landcruiser wins. I guess though it would depend on the age of the vehicle. I drove an almost new LC and an older Patrol.

TBH though, like the UK, unless I planned or needed to go off roading (farming so was occupational hazard) in one I'd just buy a decent normal car and save on costs like tyres and gas guzzling.

Guest Crushfamily
Is this not technically fraud? Lying on a legal document? Personally, I'd put the actual amount paid. Saving $50-$100 isn't worth commuting fraud for.

It has not taken me long to realise this is actually called playing the game especially when it comes to this sort of thing. I used to share your point of view!

Although often if you buy through a car dealer this is all bundled into the price, it's called the on the road price.

Don't forget the registration office gets paperwork returned from both buyer and seller, so if you're confident they won't cross-check and notice you've understated the amount and then come after you................ then you're a braver man than me, gungadin! I know we're often treated like idiots, but it's not safe to assume the system is run by idiots too.... Still, I've heard fines for this type of thing are very low (compared to third world debt)