pay as you go mobile

brucesbabe

hi, any advice on a good pay as you go phone deal anywhere ? I only really need to be able to text, call and take pics, don't need anything fancy . Here in the UK I've been on O2 simplicity for the bargain price of £5 a month unlimited texts ! I don't expect that in Oz. Arriving Monday so will want to purchase it on Tue, also a Sat Nav!

Cheers guys

Lisa

Guest vikkiann

I'm with crazy johns on their flat chat tarrif.

Its 1c per text within australia, 10c per min on calls, free texts and calls to other crazy johns, call uk landline 5c per minute and a uk mobile 19c per minute, you get 500mb of data every time you top up. If you top up online you also get 10% bonus credit.

I think it's quite a good deal and don't get any problems with coverage.

Go to the good guys for a sat nav and haggle

We brought our phones over and using amaysim. Pay as you go for $39.90 a month. It has a 4gb data limit. We use the phone as Santa through Google maps app. If you bring your phone get it unlocked before you leave

Hi Matt, take a deep breath and prepare for the rant.... don't talk to me about getting your phone unlocked, it went away last Thur with a promise it would be done by Sat, Sat came with a promise it would be done and back to me by Mon, Mon came and they said they were having trouble with the software and I could either have it back tomorrow as it is or let them keep it 2 more days to try further. As this is my last week in the UK I am not happy to have been without my phone for nearly a week for absolutely nothing - this is why my OH suggested a new phone!!

Cheers anyway!!

Lisa

I'm with crazy johns on their flat chat tarrif.

Its 1c per text within australia, 10c per min on calls, free texts and calls to other crazy johns, call uk landline 5c per minute and a uk mobile 19c per minute, you get 500mb of data every time you top up. If you top up online you also get 10% bonus credit.

I think it's quite a good deal and don't get any problems with coverage.

Hi Vikkiann, That sounds really good, especially if we get the whole family on it - and thanks for the sat nav tip, that will be one of our first things to get as I have zero sense of direction !

Lisa

Hi Matt, take a deep breath and prepare for the rant.... don't talk to me about getting your phone unlocked, it went away last Thur with a promise it would be done by Sat, Sat came with a promise it would be done and back to me by Mon, Mon came and they said they were having trouble with the software and I could either have it back tomorrow as it is or let them keep it 2 more days to try further. As this is my last week in the UK I am not happy to have been without my phone for nearly a week for absolutely nothing - this is why my OH suggested a new phone!!

Cheers anyway!!

Lisa

What phones do you have and why can't your provider get them done?

+1 for Crazy Johns Flat Chat but if you're going bush then get a Telstra.

Guest zidden

We done the same thing when we arrived here.

Found a nokia pay as you go phone on vodafone (available in vodafone shop, k-mart etc...) for $20, put $10 credit on and received and extra $10.

Heres the web link.

http://shop.vodafone.com.au/offers/all-prepaid-mobiles?type=Prepaid&pid=v:pers:prepaid:prepaid:pp-mobile-phones:text:view-all-pp-phones

we also chose the international package as the options for cheaper credit ($10 was available), this also allows you to call the UK for $1 maximum.

Just be wary of where you are going to spend the majority of your time in SA before you buy a sim deal. The coverage here in SA is woeful with some providers, even in metropolitan areas.

We were on vodafone when we first arrived and couldnt even get coverage at Henley Beach- 10km from the CBD in a built up area! The coverage for a lot of others is the same. If you want good coverage everywhere you only really have Telstra as an option. They are expensive-the equivalent of BT but they do get coverage everywhere. If you go rural at all it is telstra or nothing.

Think about when you will need your phone most-its when you break down in the middle of no-where.

Just got my missus a sony ericcson phone from the post office with a telstra PAYG sim for $30! Its not the latest all singing all dancing thing, but it does have a camera, internet access, media player etc. She is on a $30 encore cap - this gets you $250 of credit. The rates are more expensive than others, but it works when you need it to. Important I think.