Marmite!

R & H

Guest Guest75

Funny as I was going to post my experience at Manchester Airport last week..............!

On every visit to the UK I bring back some Marmite, they have started producing limited editions as well - looks great in the display cabinet:biglaugh:

We decided to put the jar of Marmite in our hand luggage, along with some other food items that we knew ARE OK to bring into Australia.

It just makes it easier for inspection by Quarantine ( don't forget to declare you have food !)

Security at Manchester Airport pulled me and asked to see inside my hand luggage............

" You can't have the jar of Marmite in there sir................ it's over 100mls of liquid"

Fer flips sake did I crack a spaz at that comment....... Marmite of Liquid????????????????????????:arghh:

"You can put it into the hold for 20 Pounds sir.............?"

Resisting the urge for a string of smart arse vitriolic comments I just said keep it.

So make sure you pack it into your hold luggage and not hand luggage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

since you are moving to australia, why not attempt to be more australian - become a convict and eat vegimite. its black and salty. :)

its much simplier to not bring any food, any wood, or any large sums of cash.... saves on the immigration interrogation - and the long queue. Australia has very tight laws on goods and most of the immigration officers, lack a personality (as im sure they do in the uk).

since you are moving to australia, why not attempt to be more australian - become a convict and eat vegimite. its black and salty. :)

its much simplier to not bring any food, any wood, or any large sums of cash.... saves on the immigration interrogation - and the long queue. Australia has very tight laws on goods and most of the immigration officers, lack a personality (as im sure they do in the uk).

LOL Actually I always go through the Something to Declare queue as most often it's a lot quicker than the Nothing to Declare one! And...I'll have you know South Australia was NOT settled by Convicts! We leave that to the eastern states....

Hi, thanks to you all - I think I'll definitely bring some. This is for someone else as I wasn't going to bother for us, but I did try some vegemite when we last came over - and I wish I could say it was the same - but no, sorry - yuk! absolutely no contest - my tastebuds can't taste any similarity at all - it's like a totally different animal!! Thanks again.

Availability worldwide

220px-Our_Mate_jar_of_UK_Made_Marmite_Spread_branded_for_sale_in_Australia.JPG

magnify-clip.png

Our Mate – jar of UK Made Marmite Spread branded for sale in Australia

Australia's national distributor Manassen Foods works with Unilever UK & Ireland Export to sell Our Mate (Marmite) in Australia. New Zealand's national distributor, James Crisp Ltd (est 1916), works on behalf of Unilever UK to sell "Our Mate" in the New Zealand grocery market.

Does anyone know if it's ok to bring in Marmite please? We've been asked to bring some over for some friends but as it has yeast in it we're not sure - thanks, H x

Believe it or not, we're taking a large jar of Vegemite back to Oz in January '13!

My niece brought two jars over for us last April (by request) when she visited us in England (from Adelaide), and now we've decided to return in January to live, it looks like we'll be taking one of the jars back with us! Talk about taking coals to Newcastle! I know it sounds a bit mad, but we're only half-way through one of the jars and I'm pretty sure the other one won't even have had its seal broken by the time we go, so ...

But it'll be travelling in our hold baggage next time, as we learned the hard way last time we visited Oz (when I packed two jars in my cabin bag) that it's not allowed! It sounds a bit odd, I know, because they don't mind if you pack Vegemite in the hold bags. It's still going on the plane, whichever bag you put it in. What's the difference?

Good luck to all of you about to take the plunge to set up a new life in Adelaide!!

Believe it or not, we're taking a large jar of Vegemite back to Oz in January '13!

My niece brought two jars over for us last April (by request) when she visited us in England (from Adelaide), and now we've decided to return in January to live, it looks like we'll be taking one of the jars back with us! Talk about taking coals to Newcastle! I know it sounds a bit mad, but we're only half-way through one of the jars and I'm pretty sure the other one won't even have had its seal broken by the time we go, so ...

QUOTE]

Why not auction it on here to the highest bidder! (for charity?) :wink:

As a life long Marmite adict myself I'm not a lover of Vegemite (have tried it several times but .... :arghh:)

the Cheesy Vegemite is just about OK in an emergency

Edited by jtct

QUOTE]

Why not auction it on here to the highest bidder! (for charity?) :wink:

As a life long Marmite adict myself I'm not a lover of Vegemite (have tried it several times but .... :arghh:)

the Cheesy Vegemite is just about OK in an emergency

Hi J & C:

Thanks for the auction suggestion, but I've already started sorting out bits and bobs for charity, and have already got a sizeable pile of things for our local charity shop.

We've pretty much decided the Vegemite's coming with us; our family in Adelaide are Vegemite Kids, anyway, and the large jar I've got should last a good while before I have to start buying it again. Last time we were there (seven months ago), I was surprised at how expensive it was - even the small jars!

I love it myself, but don't much fancy the idea of Cheesy Vegemite! :nah: Think I'll stick to a nice strong cheddar on hot buttered/Vegemite toast.

All the best!