Internet Shopping - good experiences or bad

andy and lindsey

Hi Guys

Thought it would be a good idea this close to Christmas to start a thread about successful internet shopping experiences. I have recently purchased a number of toys from Amazon.com for my boys for Christmas. All have arrived safely many at less than half the price I would have paid for them here (even including shipping) the shipping has ranged between $20-40. I know the likes of Debenhams, Marks and Spencers and the book depository deliver here but anyone got anymore suggestions, especially the american stores who tend to offer great value for money.

I am looking for an ipad too and found some good prices on http://www.kogan.com

Looking forward to your suggestions

Lindsey

Guest AngPhil

I bought a load of clothes and shoes from http://www.sportsdirect.com spent about £75 on the stuff and paid £55 for postage, packing and taxes. Even with the £55, it was way cheaper than buying the stuff here. I got a big box full of t-shirts, shorts, jumpers and trainers for the kids.

It arrived really quickly with no problems. I wish I could say the same for our container!

Guest vikkiann

For computer games I use mighty ape it's an Australian website and the games are generally at least 30% cheaper than the shops and cheaper than uk prices! I recently bought a 3ds game that was $32, in big w it's $58. They charge $5 I think for delivery.

The only uk store I use now is jd sports, it takes 9 days for delivery but is so much cheaper than paying the ridiculous prices for trainers

Guest nakigirl

I used Kogan for mobile phones and they were very good. Also try the iconic for clothing and style tread for shoes. As has been mentioned USA sites can be cheap but shipping costs often wipe out any savings. I usually use them for things I can't get here. Fishpond are also good for books.

I have used JD Sports for trainers, hoodies, T-shirts and shorts all at a great price and fab quality. £5 delivery and arrived within 10 days.

Also used New Look for my 10yr old daughter, all good and fast delivery.

Guest bubbe2005

is there an Aussie version of amazon online? would that be Kogan (I just checked it out) or is there an Aussie version of Argos?

usually with Amazon.com spending over $25 on qualified items, you get free shipping, does this still apply to shipping to Australia?! I'd hate to be paying $50 on shipping on a $20 item!!

Edited by bubbe2005

No idea unfortunately for home wares but had only good fortune with Debenhams, Brown Bag Clothing, Woodhouse Clothing, (Kitbag for sports, occasional freeshipping), marks and Spencers for work gear. Just purchased presents at Surfstitch and Trixan and Body.

One thing I didn't understand last Christmas, i couldn't purchase a voucher for Westfield in the UK, from Australia even though Westfield are an Australian company.

My only bad experiences are from the special offers per day people, like Living Social, Spreets, etc... Not singling anyone one of them out, but the vouchers for meals and hotels always work a treat, actual deliverable items can take longer than they ever advertise, and it can fee a struggle to get what you paid for. So I choose not to use them anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Asos.com now ships from Sydney iirc

Size.co.uk same company as JD sports

Hanon shop - great trainers but shipping is based on size and weight

Mr porter.com

Oipolloi - do great clothes

Amazon.com.au redirects to their .co.uk site. I have no idea why? I prefer buying from local ones here like www.dealsdirect.com.au

I've bought from eBay on a regular basis and they are pretty decent too...

Amazon don't have an Australian site. It's worth looking on both their .com and .co.uk sites when considering buying something. You can still use the same account on either sites. I tend to google search here for a product then have a look on both amazon sites, it's sometimes cheaper to ship from overseas from Amazon even with postage added and it's sometimes cheaper to buy from aussie websites.