Postal... service in SA

Guest Guest8609

Guest Guest8609

Within a week I had two parcels delivered in a... careless way.

I was at home and I saw the postman didn't even bother to come to the door (so no knocking or using the doorbell). He just threw a parcel into the garden. Unfenced garden, btw... And also, the parcel was not very well protected from rain.

I'm waiting for the third delivery and I will ask the postman WHY he doesn't knock at the door. Providing I'm able to catch him... I'll probably complain as well. What else can I do :/

Maybe I should take a photo of a postman, as well :D or tell him there's a camera on the house and I can prove each time he doesn't deliver properly ;)

Now I'm afraid they do the same thing as in the UK - when there's a signed for delivery, they will just put a note in the door without trying to knock or ring.

I couldn't find a similar thread (send me a link if it exists), so I'd like to ask you about your opinions and experience with Australian Post.

Guest Guest5035

was it a postie as in the one that delivers the mail by bike or was he in a van as these are contractors working for the Australian Post. When we have had a very small parcel delivered by the postie he normally knocks , if no answer and its too big he takes it back to the post office and leaves a note in the mail box.

stevo

I have noticed a few times when I'm in the house I see the postie drive by, and when I pop outside there's a note saying unable to deliver parcel and

to collect from post office after 4pm. Its extremely frustrating when your in the house and they don't attempt to knock.

When the contractors come in the small vans i've noticed they sometimes pop small packages in the mail box and only knock for larger items

Australia Post - terrible service, mail crushed into box, thrown on the garden - that's if it even arrives. I reckon in the last few years its got a lot worse, the junk mail delivered by Australia Post always arrives but what about all of my missing post!!!!!!! it just never seems to get here.

Guest moonraker1959

I read on here a couple of years ago(someone who worked delivering parcels)said they were on such a tight time schedule,they had no time to knock anyone's door to hand the parcel over.Not that thats a good excuse!I had a brill postie when I lived in SA,so was lucky!Leaving parcels thrown on the lawn is unacceptable imho,and you should lodge a complaint about that and ask who is responsible should said parcel go walkabout!I'm about to send off the xmas parcels to SA,and my blood will be boiling if any go missing!

I don't know our postie or contractor for parcels, but they are good guys too, always leaves a note for the parcel to collect at the post office.

Even had an incident the other week, where I ordered something on my phone, with the smaller screen and in my haste I put the wrong house number on the order, I tracked the item and saw it had gone back to the sorting office. I gave them a call and asked if there was anything I could do to get my parcel. They intercepted the return to sender and corrected the address and sent it back to me the next day. The guy even apologized for how long it took, I was amazed at the service.

I'm still a little patriotic at times, but compared to the Royal Mail in my eyes, Aus Post is fantastic.

I suppose its down to personal experiences with the post, I've NEVER had any problems with the parcel contractors, I've always found them to be good - its the man on the bike my problems have been with, the Australia Post - I was told by an ex employee that they have to have things delivered by a certain time and if its not!! he didn't say what happens though - just laughed. I think he meant it just doesn't get delivered.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest8609

It was a guy in the van. And he did it again! Even though I was waiting for him, lurking :)

I admire his stealth, he should be a scout or a spie :D Maybe next time I will set up a trap or something ;)

The ones that live around noarlunga, Christies, Christies Beach,Seaford and Morphett Vale have a good Head contractor called Ron Oniel he makes sure that all his contractors do there job the best they can.

I know this because I sort the parcels in a morning for the contractors and they all seem a pretty decent bunch.

Guest Guest5035
It was a guy in the van. And he did it again! Even though I was waiting for him, lurking :)

I admire his stealth, he should be a scout or a spie :D Maybe next time I will set up a trap or something ;)

he probably knows you are lurking in the shadows and watching him, probably thinks you are a loony and dare not knock on the door..

stevo

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest8609

Another adventure with Australia Post - again I'm home, this time the guy knocks at the door. By the time I opened he was in the car, must have been running and maybe jumping over the fence. This time he left a card so that I can collect the parcel from the post office. How nice - I don't have a car, the parcel is big and it's a long walk...

NOT funny. 3 times I was at home, waiting, and NEVER collected a parcel from the guy. And they don't redeliver.

Guest moonraker1959
Another adventure with Australia Post - again I'm home, this time the guy knocks at the door. By the time I opened he was in the car, must have been running and maybe jumping over the fence. This time he left a card so that I can collect the parcel from the post office. How nice - I don't have a car, the parcel is big and it's a long walk...

NOT funny. 3 times I was at home, waiting, and NEVER collected a parcel from the guy. And they don't redeliver.

So annoying hey?Lets hope they get their act together before Xmas hits!!!!Last year I sent presents first class (UK to Oz)and they took 4 mths to get there!Glad I did'nt ship them!:smile:

I've got an elderly friend (not saying you are elderly) and she has this happen to her and I did a laminated sign up for her near her front door saying "Dear Postman - Please wait a few minutes before you go, I am a bit slow on my feet but I will get there & your wait is very appreciated" - She says it has worked.