Capital Left

Misplaced

Hi All,

I have been using the attached spreadsheet to help work out what capital we may have left for a deposit on a house.

The fields that are unhighlighted just need to be completed.

Please note that for the exchange rate I have taken 5 cents off for calculating from £s to $s (e.g. exchange rate entered 1.55 will calculate at 1.50). I don't know whether this is excessive or not enough but thought it was a figure to work on.:err:

Anyway, I hope it is of some use for people.

Cheers

Mis

Capital left.zip

Hi Mis,

Looks like a good start, From first glance I have a couple of comments/questions.

Your estate agents fees looked pretty good at 1% - did that include VAT? as if not it would add 300 quid to the costs.

On the expense side a few items look a bit heavy - (I would do the same to allow a contingency)

Most rents include an allowance for water so $25 a week seems pretty steep (mine is $80 a year)

Your car insurance seems high as a basic cover is included in the 'rego' so you will only be paying a top-up

Broadband/phone shouldn't be any more than $70 a month (although not sure why people bother with a home phone these days)

I'm sure others will give their experiences as to what you can expect the costs to be but what you have will be a very useful starting point for a lot of people so thanks for sharing that.

NWM

Cheers for that. Will have to check on the VAT and thanks or pointing out.

I've tried to keep costs on the high side so no big surprises when we eventually get to Oz.

Just hope it is useful for people as they can put their own costs in and see what they are left with at different intervals.

Guest vikkiann

I pay $130 per quarter towards my water and the landlord pays a bit. My broadband includes a home phone and 200gb per month with telstra, that costs $95 per month. I drive a zafira, for fully comp insurance with my bank its $43 per month. I like the idea of keeping costs on the high side, we spent a fortune when we got here. Any luck with the house sale?

Agree with NWM - also "Rates" - not sure how that translates to Aust standards but if you are talking about Council rates then the landlord pays this. Also electricity is a bit of an unknown - we tend to use more than $30 per week and in summer the tarrif is higher than the winter. Also are there any public transport costs - anyone taking buses etc to school as that will add to costs. If you have a job in the city then you need to consider that there are parking costs also of approximately $12 per day - although it adds to your travel time it's cheaper to park your car somewhere and take the bus into work.

I pay $130 per quarter towards my water and the landlord pays a bit. My broadband includes a home phone and 200gb per month with telstra, that costs $95 per month. I drive a zafira, for fully comp insurance with my bank its $43 per month. I like the idea of keeping costs on the high side, we spent a fortune when we got here. Any luck with the house sale?

No luck with the house sale :-(

Thanks for the costs I'll have a play to see what happens with the left over capital.

Agree with NWM - also "Rates" - not sure how that translates to Aust standards but if you are talking about Council rates then the landlord pays this. Also electricity is a bit of an unknown - we tend to use more than $30 per week and in summer the tarrif is higher than the winter. Also are there any public transport costs - anyone taking buses etc to school as that will add to costs. If you have a job in the city then you need to consider that there are parking costs also of approximately $12 per day - although it adds to your travel time it's cheaper to park your car somewhere and take the bus into work.

Thanks Kris.

The electricity I'll up to $45.

The school buses are free for the school we are looking at. As for the parking and travel costs to work the sheet is just to give me an idea of the spend before we have jobs.

However, it now gives me food for thought on expenses once working.

Cheers,

Mis

Broadband/phone shouldn't be any more than $70 a month (although not sure why people bother with a home phone these days)

Just had a small smile here - went to see Dave Hughes recently (aussie comedian for anyone that doesn't live here) and he was saying the only thing he uses his landline for these days is to dial his mobile when he can't find whereabouts in the house he has left it!

Doesn't look far off to me, but here are my comments:

Health care looks a bit high, but obviously depends what you want, how many of you there are and who you go with (ours – family of three – is $213 per month for hospital and extras).

Petrol could be on the low side depending on size of car etc and how far you'll be exploring or looking for work. I spend double that amount on petrol (and then some) commuting, but my wife spends about that amount.

I don't think that $4,160 per annum is excessive for car insurance – my wife's and my insurance both cost more.

Electricity costs are a complete mystery to me and some people's are (relatively) low and others high, regardless of the measures they take to reduce usage; based on your $30 per week, our last quarter bill is similar to what you expect to pay in a year ...

Our 'broadband' (I use the term loosely given its snail-pace speed) and landline cost $99 per month. You can get cheaper, but apart from anything else it depends where you live – companies like Adam and Optus don't cover all areas, so we're stuck with the best Telstra can offer our area.

The rental is a bit problematic, because while $400 per week is more than you'll pay for many unfurnished properties, it's obviously less than furnished. So, if you're looking from week one, you have to think about whether your shipping will have arrived or how long you'll be able to live without chairs, crockery, cutlery etc. Also, even though you're shipping your belongings, does this mean everything? e.g. are you bringing white goods?

Finally, I compiled a similar spreadsheet in the run-up to our move, and while it proved fairly accurate on the planned spend, there are plenty of other costs that happen when you move to a new country (being in holiday mode when first arriving, school uniforms, paying for driver's licences, etc). Perhaps I should have added another field entitled 'money that's thrown into a hole' ...

Jim

Doesn't look far off to me, but here are my comments:

Health care looks a bit high, but obviously depends what you want, how many of you there are and who you go with (ours – family of three – is $213 per month for hospital and extras).

Petrol could be on the low side depending on size of car etc and how far you'll be exploring or looking for work. I spend double that amount on petrol (and then some) commuting, but my wife spends about that amount.

I don't think that $4,160 per annum is excessive for car insurance – my wife's and my insurance both cost more.

Electricity costs are a complete mystery to me and some people's are (relatively) low and others high, regardless of the measures they take to reduce usage; based on your $30 per week, our last quarter bill is similar to what you expect to pay in a year ...

Our 'broadband' (I use the term loosely given its snail-pace speed) and landline cost $99 per month. You can get cheaper, but apart from anything else it depends where you live – companies like Adam and Optus don't cover all areas, so we're stuck with the best Telstra can offer our area.

The rental is a bit problematic, because while $400 per week is more than you'll pay for many unfurnished properties, it's obviously less than furnished. So, if you're looking from week one, you have to think about whether your shipping will have arrived or how long you'll be able to live without chairs, crockery, cutlery etc. Also, even though you're shipping your belongings, does this mean everything? e.g. are you bringing white goods?

Finally, I compiled a similar spreadsheet in the run-up to our move, and while it proved fairly accurate on the planned spend, there are plenty of other costs that happen when you move to a new country (being in holiday mode when first arriving, school uniforms, paying for driver's licences, etc). Perhaps I should have added another field entitled 'money that's thrown into a hole' ...

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Health care is on the high side as I have a few underlying conditions.

I shall up my fuel spend and include the cost for licenses and if you think of anything else let me know.

With regards to the fully furnished rental we are quite fortunate and are staying with friends until our stuff arrives, and, yes we are bringing over our white goods.

Great feedback and very much appreciated.