Internet question...?

Guest graandjac

Guest graandjac

:)Hi Guys one for the tech heads amongst us , so we can have internet access as soon as we arrive do Dongles work for our laptop in Adelaide the little plug in , pay as you go thingies, i know they are dearer monthly but it would be worth it for the fist few months.

Cheers Graham

Guest Libby1971

Dongles? What? SOunds like you are talking Klingon to me...p'tah!

As soonas you arrive, head for a library as its free!!!! There, a magic word.

Alternatively, bribe someone off this site (a cheesy wotsit should do, two if you can stretch to it) to let you use theirs...

Libby:jiggy:

Guest Django
Alternatively, bribe someone off this site (a cheesy wotsit should do, two if you can stretch to it) to let you use theirs...

We'll be round with some tuna & pasta bake mixes. That should get us an hours worth of surf time.;):biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Guest Martin and Val

As Libby said, "head for the library it's free"

Just take proof of address with you such as the letter from the bank when you open your account and within minutes your a member. It gives you one hour per day on a library PC or eight hours on your own lap top and they allow you to plug it into the mains electric for free tooooo!

It's also well worth running into a Dick Smith electrical shop and getting a new Aussie power cord for your lap top as it saves you keep taking your adapter plug with you as well.

Good luck

Martin and Val 11_9_10.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxdm824YYGB

Guest graandjac

:wacko:So does anyone know about the dongle working....? you plug them into your laptop and it gives you wireless internet anywhere, which works on a pay as you go basis ,i know the library is a great place but not always convenent, Cheers Graham

:wacko:So does anyone know about the dongle working....? you plug them into your laptop and it gives you wireless internet anywhere, which works on a pay as you go basis ,i know the library is a great place but not always convenent, Cheers Graham

Gra,

Should work ok, just need to check on the coverage area around Adelaide. I know over here it works ok but depends on area. Also the one we have at work (Cheap rubbish as its from work!!:goofy:) slows he pc down considerably. But from what i have the 3G cards are quite good.

Buy one when you get there and let me know if it works for when we get there :wubclub:

Guest swampo

Yes, we have bought a 'dongle' as we are now in rented for 6 months before we go so couldn't do a contract thing. Have checked with people in Melbourne (that's all we know over ther) and they say they work fine and it's even a bit cheaper than here.

We have the 3G this month on pay as you go with 3 and it seems to work quite quickly on our rather ancient laptop. We shall take the laptop and the dongle over as hand luggage when we go as it will give us contact with folks over here and the ability to track down houses etc over there.

Really easy to install, well me and my OH are complete internet virgins and we managed to do it!

Hope that helps.

Guest soggy

Hi,

you can get the internet here even if you are renting short term, I am in oaa for 12 weeks and got a phone connected by telstra this has not contract, and bigpond broadband(or what passes for broadband here 256/64) there is a contract of 2 years but it can move to your new address at any time and you can change your package. I did look at usning the"dongle" method using the 3 network, the coverage is quite good over the whole metropolitan area, or so the girl in the 3 shop told me.

hope this helps a little:D

Simon

There are many sites in Adelaide, where you can get free access to the internet by logging on to free wireless sites.

I have used one in Fasta Pasta in Unley road, and I have also noticed them at various eateries around Adelaide, even in Central Market. I believe they also have free access oin the airport.