Snakes, spiders, insects etc

Guest cruise

Guest cruise

Hi

Is it true that one must keep all doors and windows closed at all times to prevent creepy crawlies etc from entering inside the property? I am aware of flyscreens used on doors and windows.

Thanks

Cruise

Is it true that one must keep all doors and windows closed at all times to prevent creepy crawlies etc from entering inside the property?

We tried that but we couldn't get in the house! Seriously, no that isn't true, although you probably wouldn't want too many open that didn't have flyscreens - you'd get flies in during the day and mozzies after dark.

Jim

...and moths, Tina, you forgot to mention moths! (Wish I could work out where the moths that keep flying out of my food cupboards are coming from! I've thrown away so many packets and stuff from there, there's only tins left and surely the moths can't break into those....can they????)

Flies,Flies Flies!Its amazing how you cant see them ,but boy are they everywhere!Just open the door for a moment and theres 3 or 4 buzzing around.I find them a lot smarter than UK flies.It was a test of skill there for me to see if i could swat them(which i usually did with relative ease!)Here i only catch a slight glimpse of the superfast Critters,and use half a tin of insecticide just trying to get one of them!:frown:

Guest Jersey Bean

Hello Diane - bean a while bored off Adelaide it very quiet...,where is everyone? or is it just time of year

- help a cockroach the size of squash ball just come out to play yuk!!!

• 2 weeks later...

i have been surprised at the lack of insects in the house much to my relief but flies drive me mad!!!!! I couldn't survive with door and windows closed though, I just have Mortein in every room! The most annoying thing is that flies aim for your mouth and ers and it is horrid!!therefore I am a seasoanl dog walker much to OH's disgust - any hint of flies or snakes and I don't go!I have been surprised and quite pleased about the lack of wildlife in my house despite being further north of adelaide and usually 3 - 4degrees warmer so I wouldn't worry too much. :)

Guest nickcoumbe

Personally I keep the screens closed in general and use barrier sprays inside and out and bug bomb every few months. We still get the odd spider etc coming in but it really isn't all that bad. Had a live huntsman in the house the other day so I tried to suck it up with the Hoover. It was too strong to actually suck up, but after I poked it a couple of times it obligingly climbed into the end of the spout to be transported outside.

i find that we have a lot less spiders than in England and I still haven't seen one as big as we used to get in Reading.

I used to ally worry about the wildlife before I came order, but it really isn't that bad.

the flies are buggers though and I find that you really need to think about the mossies and sunscreen.