iPhone in oz

Guest Mark&Yvonne

Guest Mark&Yvonne

Hi just wondering if anyone knows if we could bring our IPhones over that are currently contracted to a UK network & get them chipped to work on an oz network.

If possible do you know anyone who does this.

Dont think I could cope without an iPhone & don't fancy buying a new one over there.

cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

My husband has an iphone 4 that we brought over from the UK last year. He had a Vodafone contract that he had to buy himself out of at great expensive, but they did then unlock the phone for him. Vodafone also unlocked my HTC. Might be worth seeing if your network offer a similar service? I know Tesco mobile do too as my dad got his iphone unlocked a couple of months ago to bring it over here on holiday.

Good luck!

Emma

Guest Andig

If you brought your phone from Apple directly they are already unlocked and will work with any network or sim. if supplied through a network, once the contract has finished you request the unlock code. a lot of companies charge for this, but it is a free service from your network, you have to give them the IMEI data from the phone. you will only have to pay for for any time left on your contract, if you still have time before you move let your contract expire then request it.

if you have ever had a replacement from Apple store for a contract phone they will always supply an unlocked phone even if you are under contract. always better to go direct to Apple than your network supplier if you have an issue, as the phones are only guaranteed with Apple.

i would also make sure any UK Apps you want are already on your phone, as some Apps are country specific. i tried to download an App for catch up TV in Oz so i could watch Oz TV whilst i await my big move, but it knows I'm in the UK and wont let me get it!!

Guest Andig

interesting, thanks for that, so you use BBC iPlayer and CatchupTV for Uk TV then, that way you can still watch quality tv like The Cube!!!!!!!! :-)

not that i want to move to the other side of the world to sit indoors watching the box.

Vodafone here will let you unlock for free going the other way! Surprised (no, who am I kidding, not surprised at all) they don't let you do it the other way round...

But not al all surprised (genuinely) that an iplayer app won't work here - after all, what do you think people in the UK pay their TV licenses for? Although we can get radio on iplayer, you won't get the TV stuff unless you hide your IM address (which is very slightly illegal) or pay a fee to the BBC (which I think they are introducing)

All iPhones are unlocked, or can be unlocked for free on the web (legally). Ignore anyone who says unlock them before you leave UK. Something you don't need to worry about.

BuT I would say, leave the iPhone at home in UK, they are over hyped phones anyway get yourself a better one here on a new contract....(Di no need to bite :-)

All iPhones are unlocked, or can be unlocked for free on the web (legally). Ignore anyone who says unlock them before you leave UK. Something you don't need to worry about.

BuT I would say, leave the iPhone at home in UK, they are over hyped phones anyway get yourself a better one here on a new contract....(Di no need to bite :-)

Please can you post how and the website. Rather than a cryptic, you'll have to guess. It would be very helpful. Then people who have forgot to unlock the over hyped phones will be able to use them again.

I await your awesome website link.

Well that's just getting the carrier to do it. And for example, you can request an unlock for free on the O2 website, which takes a few days to come through, but you have to be in the UK for it to get applied.

How do I know this you ask? As I've experienced it. Hence why I was asking for the like you mentioned where you can get an iPhone unlocked from outside the UK.