Fresh Fruit/Veg in Hallett Cove Area

Guest Bluebell

Guest Bluebell

OUCH!!!! Just completed our first shopping trip in Hallett Cove and although we knew prices were high compared to the UK, we were still SHOCKED by the cost of most items...

I have read that the best places to buy fruit and veg are local shops or Central Market...can anyone point us in the right direction for some fruit/veg that is local to HC and not at supermarket prices?

​Thanks

Guest HRHelp

I'm at Hallett Cove and i agree its difficult to find anything at a good price - i think central markets has some better prices sometimes (not always), if you happen to be that way (plus of course you have to pay fro parking around that area)

The multi storey over the top of Central Market is one of the cheapest places to park in the city. Also if you go on a Wednesday, when not all the stalls are open, but most are, then they were doing a scheme where you could get the cost of your parking back by spending a certain amount of money in the market.

Guest anne314

Heya,

We have been here for six month now, and I really understand what you mean! We started off in Hallett Cove and we live North of the city now. I will tell you what, I really miss the O'Halloran Hill fruitmarket.... It is just great! The produce is good and the prices are even better! I haven't visited the Central markets yet, but all you will need is the O H fruit market and you will be fine :-) By the way, Foodland seems to be cheaper than Woolworths and Coles, but W and C both have good items on special each week, so most people I know just shop around :-)

Good luck with it!

Cheers, Anne

Try the fruit mart over at ohalloran hill

Agree with the above but not all is cheaper.

I have to point this out though. You've fallen into the trap that many newcomers do, a straight dollar to pounds comparison does not work. It's hard to do on small items but if you must compare, work things out on a % of income here and there. Sure, you don't have an income but, say you're buying your first car, take an average wage for your type of work here and use that. You'll get an idea of what you're really paying. Best piece of advice I can give thought is:

You're in Australia now. Forget all about the pounds.

BTW, was it you I met at the airport whist waiting for the Whitehouse to come through? If so, I've already welomed you. If not, welcome to Australia (talking to Bluebell here)

Doug.

• 5 months later...

I had good intentions of going to the Central Market every week before I arrived. I have been here for 12 weeks and I have been in the city twice.

Ee have started getting out fruit and veg from Francos on Marion Rd, after a recommendation.

I can't complain and find their prices and quality are good.

This place is not too far away from Hallett Cove. It's in Main South Road, Morphett Vale (and I pass it when the damned epressway is closed :biggrin:)

I often go there and I find their prices reasonable and their produce very good.

Pop in and see what you think. They are next to Rite Price!

Tamara

Adelaide Fresh Morphett Vale offers a vast range of fresh produce, a large selection of quality cold meats, cheese, gourmet continental goods, nuts, condiments and fresh flowers.

Frank and Mick Labbozzetta are second generation fruiterers beginning from the early 1950′s.

Morphett Vale

Contact Us

3/206 Main South Road Morphett Vale, SA 5162

Edited by Blossom
removal of e-mail as per forum rules

The multi storey over the top of Central Market is one of the cheapest places to park in the city. Also if you go on a Wednesday, when not all the stalls are open, but most are, then they were doing a scheme where you could get the cost of your parking back by spending a certain amount of money in the market.
The multi storey opposite the market on pit street is $5 all day saturday :) or park along Port road at Thebarton for free and get the tram for free. Edited by jimmyskinner

Have to agree with you - O'Halloran Hill is good but I think Francos at Forbes Shopping on Marion Road is just as good. Its worth checking out their artisan style bread when its reduced too (still perfectly ok and can be cut up and frozen). Their eggs are pretty reasonable even compared to Coles. Def. worth a visit.

Have to agree with you - O'Halloran Hill is good but I think Francos at Forbes Shopping on Marion Road is just as good. Its worth checking out their artisan style bread when its reduced too (still perfectly ok and can be cut up and frozen). Their eggs are pretty reasonable even compared to Coles. Def. worth a visit.

Yer, I go to francos. Lovely people too.