Furniture

SARAHH

I don't think there is any real ball park. You can get some stuff second hand or free, some cheap, some more expensive. It really is about buying to suit your budget.

I'd suggest if you have an idea of what you need to have and work out from that. So beds, sofa, table and chairs, (wardrobes are often built in), bookcase and desk etc. Then check online websites, Aus Ikea and so on.

Guest Adelaide_bound
Think of a figure that it would cost you in the UK. Depending on your taste and budget. Then DOUBLE IT. That will not be far off.

Then you obviously can't be bothered to shop around and put the effort in to saving yourself some dollars :/

So far its costing us peanuts to furnish our 3 bed place - people offering us free stuff, or low cost stuff, gumtree, special offers on stuff at various places (ads on tv etc) - think we've covered what we need desperately for under $1k, that includes a fridge freezer, washing machine + dryer, king size bed + mattress, sofa, dining table + chairs and a couple of small things. We haven't shipped any furniture, just some kitchen stuff, so have to.organise getting that delivered.

If you are willing to comprise on quality, or it being 2nd hand etc you can do.it on a tight budget, not something we could do as easily in the UK (people seem very helpful here).

We thought it would cost heaps more than the UK, as I will be earning double my wage from the UK as a teacher :) happy days. Just remember, prices in shops are the top price you would pay, so it won't be that much. Fantastic furniture and super a Mart do packages that save a bit of dosh as well.

We haven't really found Adelaide any more expensive than the uk- we bought everything with us except white goods and beds. Went to ikea for beds and it cost us approx $2000 for two queen size beds and a set of bunks all including mattresses. The fridge freezer and washing machine cost about the same as uk but we haggled them down.

there are tons if places to buy furniture and like in the uk you can pay lots or a little.

shop around an haggle but most of all don't worry about it.

when we arrived, we bought everything we needed second hand and got some lovely items,better than what we had in UK!! gumtree is a fab place to start, just one example, we bought a solid and i mean solid cherrywood dining table, huge, with 8 matching seats, took 3 men to carry table as solid wood and they also delivered it for free and cost us 150 bucks!! so you can buy great items on a budget (we also bought a 3 month old 42"plasma tv for 100 bucks) happy days!! good luck :-)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest franciskyle

I had furnished last year and it was within our budget. Actually it depends on what style and colors you require. IKEA is really good.

beds

Edited by franciskyle