First Day Essentials.....Where to Buy??

obxer7

As someone who takes their choice of car seat seriously, I'll always say please do your research in advance with regards to what seats you look at.

CREP has all the ratings here. Consider the ones that are higher rated is my suggestion.

http://www.crep.com.au/crep-results.php

As to where to buy them, depends where you are going to be. If you are hiring a car they usually hire car seats so perhaps you could hire one for a few days to give you some breathing room?

I personally would never buy from a large chain store type place but would always go to a reputable independent retailer (with car seat install training etc) and try a few decent seats installed and see which one you like. I recall Baby Bonanza as being good but not sure where their new store is. Check them out on their website http://www.babybonanza.com.au/carseats.html Don't go on their online RRP prices as they can do a better price I would think.

Drop me a PM if you have anything you want to ask about car seats :) Happy to help on that one.

As someone who takes their choice of car seat seriously, I'll always say please do your research in advance with regards to what seats you look at.

CREP has all the ratings here. Consider the ones that are higher rated is my suggestion.

http://www.crep.com.au/crep-results.php

As to where to buy them, depends where you are going to be. If you are hiring a car they usually hire car seats so perhaps you could hire one for a few days to give you some breathing room?

I personally would never buy from a large chain store type place but would always go to a reputable independent retailer (with car seat install training etc) and try a few decent seats installed and see which one you like. I recall Baby Bonanza as being good but not sure where their new store is. Check them out on their website http://www.babybonanza.com.au/carseats.html Don't go on their online RRP prices as they can do a better price I would think.

Drop me a PM if you have anything you want to ask about car seats :) Happy to help on that one.

Thanks, we have Britax car seat just now and I love it, but believe that laws are different and we can't bring it as it won't meet regulations.

We will be in Seacliff for a few weeks, so hopefully will get something round about there. I think our rental property has a car seat we can use initially.

Nope, your UK car seat won't be legal. There are some decent seats on sale in Aus. Britax are known as Safe n Sound there. They make a few well rated seats. It's what I'd be looking at anyways.

Maxi Cosi, iirc their seat didn't rate well with CREP. Sure I read somewhere it didn't but was tested after the latest results came out so wasn't included on the most recent list.

Guest NewInOz
We are arriving in Adelaide on 12th July and there are a few things we will need to purchase asap.

We will need to buy a car seat for our 21month old daughter, sat nav.

Any ideas where we can buy these?

On another note, don't make the mistake others have made before you and lash out too much money on a car when you get here, to then realise that it can severely reduce the amount you can borrow to buy a house if and when you need a mortgage. It seems only too easy to get a car loan in Australia after getting a mortgage, but not the other way around. Banks and other lenders want to know everything about your financial liabilities before agreeeing to a loan.

Guest Sarah Bradley

Don't worry about a sat nav, I use my S3 smart phone it has the google based navigation system on it and it's very good. I just bought a cradle and a charger so I could mount it in the car legally.

Don't worry about a sat nav, I use my S3 smart phone it has the google based navigation system on it and it's very good. I just bought a cradle and a charger so I could mount it in the car legally.

Well said Sarah, a car with all the bells and whistles comes later, much later for the average Joe. You can find a good 1st car for $5000 or less, it only needs to last you 2 years max by which time you should be well settled in long term jobs and homes.

Adelaide, 'The Most Liveable City in Australia' ( wait for the new TV series to come out) is so easy to get around. Just carry a copy the street directory in your car at all times as well.