Petrol

Guest Russ c

Guest Guest75

Tuesday is "traditionally" cheaper.

With the large grocery stores if you spend over a certain amount you will receive a discount voucher on your bill. ranges from 4c per litre off to 15c on very special times.

Well it isn't really any more. A few years ago it was, something to do with buying cycles or something. Now it still cycles, but not set days. For example, the first day it might start at $1.32. It stays like that a couple of days, then goes up a bit gradually over the next few days until it's say $1.55. Then the next day it drops right down again. It is a pain in the bum.

The cheaper petrol day(s) were midweek but it's been different recently and weekends appear to have had the cheaper days..........anyone know why?

Why do we have cheaper days anyway? When I lived overseas the petrol price was adjusted on a monthly basis depending upon the exchange rate, dollar price of fuel etc.

Like Tyke says, the different retailers have different discounts...starting at 4 cents per litre...then going to 8 cents per litre if you spend $5 in the sevo shop but they run deals all the time offering 10 cents, 15 cents etc dependant upon how much you spend at Woolworths or Coles to qualify for the 10 or 15 cents discount.

Woolworths have everyday rewards cards that you scan at the supermarket checkout when you purchase your food...you then redeam the discount at the petrol bowser.

Tamara

Guest Guest75

I still see the odd Tuesday deal locally, perhaps we are behind the times darn sarf??

You should hear my whoops of joy when I get a 10c / litre off voucher!! We have a 180 L fuel tank.

This also begs the question why diesel is expensive when really it is a byproduct of the petrol manufacture process.

I still see the odd Tuesday deal locally, perhaps we are behind the times darn sarf??

You should hear my whoops of joy when I get a 10c / litre off voucher!! We have a 180 L fuel tank.

This also begs the question why diesel is expensive when really it is a byproduct of the petrol manufacture process.

Both you and my OH when he fills our 75 litre van! Two Yorkshiremen getting a discount....he's also a happy chappy!:biglaugh:

:swoon:

How much is petrol per litre

Petrol hovers around $1.50 to $1.60 per litre. This is likely to go up now the Aus dollar has fallen.

The trick is to avoid filling up just before a long weekend. You can also use a website to work out where the best deal is near you, with or without the vouchers that supermarkets hand out for discounts

Curiously, diesel is consistently more expensive.

John B

If you can be bothered doing the calculations you may find that the increased mpg (or km per litre) you will get with a higher octane fuel justifies the higher initial outlay. Best way to save money is (a) shop around and (b) make good use of fuel vouchers - for instance I can get 8c off per litre with a discount voucher (sometimes more or less) then another 2c off per litre if I buy my milk in store (same price as in the supermarket), then I take the receipt into Foodland and they give me another 4c per litre discount off my shopping! Cheap Tuesdays are a thing of the past though for petrol - now you just have to keep your eyes peeled and fill up in whatever day the price dips.

Edited by Diane
because I can't spell when posting from my phone! d'oh...

Guest Bonnydoon7

Around our way the rule seems to be that petrol prices go down the day after I pay the top price of $1.59/l because I'll run out if I don't get some! It was always cheap Tuesdays and never near the weekend, then it seemed to be Friday and even long weekends, but then that changed too. I still haven't figured out how to make it work for me but I can't do without it so I just pay whatever to keep on the road.

Guest Bonnydoon7

Diane

Would you mind unpacking your method of getting a receipt and taking it to Foodland for a further discount, please? I would rather shop at local shops like Foodland and IGA to keep the $$ in Australia, but I didn't know I could get a discount through Foodland. I like your thinking. And have you definitely worked out that you get better economy from the high octane fuel? I saw an article on TV saying you do, but I get the jitters when I see the price at the pump so choose the cheap one each time.

It's kind of like a challenge working out if you can wait until your way home to get petrol or if the price will have gone up. I've got quite good. Lol.

I do this, we have quite a few petrol stations near by and I can generally tell if one of them is a cent or two lower than the day before if I can hold off till at least lunch time the others will be even less.

A month or so ago I was up in Pooraka and the Woolworth's garage had fuel at $1.59 but at the "local" garage across the road it was $1.19 - couldn't work out why but I filled up at the $1.19!

I go past at least 8 petrol stations on my way to and from work. One or two will normally go up about 12 hours before the rest, so that's my last chance warning. It is amazing. There can be 20c a litre difference between petrol stations.

Edited by Blossom
Spelling

Because they say it isn't as green!!!! More pollutants allegedly even with the catalytic converters.......all just a con I reckon. Like the global warning thingy.......it makes me chuckle when they say it got warmer over the last 200 years the world is coming to an end.....blah....blah.........bloody hell the earth is billions of years old and if you use 200 years in % terms against the billions of years it is a minuscule number!

I have a theory that all the governments in he world just use it to put an extra tax on the gullible general public!

And let it begin........lol

.... Like the global warning thingy.......it makes me chuckle when they say it got warmer over the last 200 years the world is coming to an end.....blah....blah.............

Ah, but that's the thing you see. 'They' no longer talk about 'global warming' - too many people spat their coffee out in surprise at the thought of anywhere being consistently warmer these days (the UK has just had its coldest winter on record, for example) - the buzz phrase these days is 'climate change' because it's hard to deny that yes, the climate is changing athough of course whether this is caused by man's actions, can be affected by any subsequent actions of man, or is anything other than cyclical and entirely natural change is open to debate.