How much are utilities in Adelaide?

Ktee

I know up here we pay

$1000 per quarter Electric although its gone up another 20% so dreading the next bill. This is despite having solar and Tarrif 33

$165 per quarter Gas

$360 per month Home and Building Insurance (rip off Qld, it cost me $60pm in Vic)

$150 per month Landline and Internet

$35 per quarter Water

$3200 per year Rates

$65 per month fully comp car insurance

Guest Adelaide_bound

$1000 on electric?! OMG - do you run the air con all the time, have a massive house and loads of kids?! OMG I am panicking now about our first bill. Faint.

We haven't had any bills yet, so only know what the phone/internet/tv cost ($110 a month, all calls, 300GB internet, basic tv), there seems to be better deals out there if you can go through them all, but we just wanted quick as and get it in to be honest so just went with Optus (Telstra annoyed me too much). I think we/others could/would get it a lot cheaper, I was just having an epi at this point lol.

But am now stressed about the eleccy - quick, turn everything off!! :o

$1000 on electric?! OMG - do you run the air con all the time, have a massive house and loads of kids?! OMG I am panicking now about our first bill. Faint.

We haven't had any bills yet, so only know what the phone/internet/tv cost ($110 a month, all calls, 300GB internet, basic tv), there seems to be better deals out there if you can go through them all, but we just wanted quick as and get it in to be honest so just went with Optus (Telstra annoyed me too much). I think we/others could/would get it a lot cheaper, I was just having an epi at this point lol.

But am now stressed about the eleccy - quick, turn everything off!! :o

No it's just we only have Ergon up here so they can charge whatever they want. I Vic it was $400 a quarter so i would think yours will be around the same. We hardly ever have the aircon on, we have no heating. We have solar installed and a cheap tarrif for the pool, i dread to think what it would be like without those

Guest Adelaide_bound

OK, I can breathe again lol. Super stressed me out there~! lol

Remind me not to move to QLD (luckily whilst we super loved it there, we super super super loved a load of other places that little bit more, so we probably won't be :D)

Our electricity bill for the first six weeks in our rental was about $360. The bill for the next three months was about the same. Our electricity for the summer quarter was $750ish. Our last bill was just under $400. We ran the air con a fair bit on the weekends and in the evenings during the week in summer and have the heating on as little as we can get away with (but still quite a bit) in winter, have an electric cooker and halogen downlights. We try not to put the main lights on in the family area too much and use lamps with low energy bulbs most of the time now. Even so we still have around 6 halogen lights that are on a lot of the time. Gas has been about $160 a quarter so far for a gas hob and gas heated water.

Our home contents renewal has just come through and is $450 for the year, although I'm hoping to get it down a bit by shopping around. Our landline and Internet cost about $75 a month, although we have one of the lowest packages on Telstra and only make local and international calls occasionally. It actually costs more to phone a mobile from the landline than it does to call overseas so we use our mobiles to call other mobiles. Internet is through Adam Internet.

Water in the rental is about $180 a quarter but we only pay supply and usage. Water on our block of land is around $160 a quarter even though it's an empty block and we are not using any water.

Rates don't have to pay at the moment so no idea.

Fully comp car insurance just cost us $395 for the year. They originally quoted $500 but my OH found a better deal elsewhere and when he phoned to cancel they found 'an error in the quote' and gave him a better price.

Guest BurgessFamily

Family of 4 in a 4 bed newish rental. We don't use the A/C too often, an hour at most in a day if it's really cold or hot.

Electricity : $300 - $600 / qtr depending on time of year.

Gas : $150 / qtr

Internet/Phone: $60 /mth (100GB WiMax)

Water : $150 /qtr (with grey water for toilets and garden

House Contents Insurance : $400 / yr (only renting at the moment)

Rego : about $220 / qtr * 2 (2 cars - not paid it annually yet :P)

we are planning to build and will be putting in double glazing (about x2.5 cost of single glazing) - even though the designer said that we should only put on south facing otherwise it's a waste of money, as it doesn't really do anything and we'd be better off getting shutters instead for insulation).

Edited by BurgessFamily

Guest Guest75
I know up here we pay

$1000 per quarter Electric although its gone up another 20% so dreading the next bill. This is despite having solar and Tarrif 33

$165 per quarter Gas

$360 per month Home and Building Insurance (rip off Qld, it cost me $60pm in Vic)

$150 per month Landline and Internet

$35 per quarter Water

$3200 per year Rates

$65 per month fully comp car insurance

It's ya pool that can eat leccy!!!! + kids!

Guest shella_n
We pay around $250 a quarter for electric (don't have gas) and $30 a quarter for water.

Would love to know what people do with their elec, gas and water.

Woildnlive to know how you do that. I'm very frugal with elec - last winter barely had the heating on, always turn off lights, don't leave tv on standby, have all Eco bulbs everywhere and last winter elec bill was still $880 for the quarter. We are with Power Australia ( or whatever they are called now and get an 11% discount - don't know if mabye the costs differ significantly from provider to provider?)

It's ya pool that can eat leccy!!!! + kids!

Well one of the kids has now left home, still working on the other two :yes:

For our electric here in FNQ it's 29.403 cents per kWh and 55.241 cents per day service charge and there's only one supplier.

Woildnlive to know how you do that. I'm very frugal with elec - last winter barely had the heating on, always turn off lights, don't leave tv on standby, have all Eco bulbs everywhere and last winter elec bill was still $880 for the quarter. We are with Power Australia ( or whatever they are called now and get an 11% discount - don't know if mabye the costs differ significantly from provider to provider?)

Wow. We're not particularly careful with usage and everything is electric as we have no gas. We have reverse cycle heating/cooling and if we're cold/hot then it's on. It's been on about 4 hours a day everyday for the past 6 weeks. The bill may creep up towards $280 in winter but have never had more than that in the 2.5 years here.

We're with AGL. Maybe give them a call?

Likewise..... We have full home theatre on all the time, 2 computers on, games consoles, if I'm hot the heating goes on and likewise aircon in summer! And still only ever around the same cost!

If you're hot why would you put the heating on?

Xzibit Are you relying on grey and rain water?

Our supply charge and sewerage and Save the Murray levy is almost $200 a quarter. In the past 3 months our water usage was $200 making the total bill just under $400.

This was our 'autumn' bill, our 'summer' bill was $50 more. We have an average size garden, 3 people and no pool/spa.

To add a bit more helpful information rather than ranting on about how cheap my electric is, I have just had a look at my usage.

Bills over the past 2 years have varied from $240 to $270 a quarter.

I'm with AGL and have the following rates: Summer first 1200kWh 34.914c and Winter first 1200kWh 33.253c. I've never used more than 1100kWh a quarter. AGL also say that we use 41.2% less energy than similar homes in my area. How accurate that is, I can't tell you.

Xzibit Are you relying on grey and rain water?

Our supply charge and sewerage and Save the Murray levy is almost $200 a quarter. In the past 3 months our water usage was $200 making the total bill just under $400.

This was our 'autumn' bill, our 'summer' bill was $50 more. We have an average size garden, 3 people and no pool/spa.

No, but we are renting at the moment so just pay for usage. So not really comparable to many I suppose. Good to know how much the 'real' bill will be though once we buy.

To add a bit more helpful information rather than ranting on about how cheap my electric is, I have just had a look at my usage.

Bills over the past 2 years have varied from $240 to $270 a quarter.

I'm with AGL and have the following rates: Summer first 1200kWh 34.914c and Winter first 1200kWh 33.253c. I've never used more than 1100kWh a quarter. AGL also say that we use 41.2% less energy than similar homes in my area. How accurate that is, I can't tell you.

Thanks for the clarification on this and the leccy. If your townhouse is newish it is probably well insulated and there will be less outside walls and windows than the standard Aussie bungalow style house. Is this correct?

We think we have pretty low electricity bills in our current house, about $120 pre month and about $50 per month for gas. OUr previous very large house had horrendous electricity bills. We thought $200 a month was good with average winter bills around $400-500 per month. We now heat with wood, which we are lucky to get for free and our evaporative cooling is much cheaper to run than our reverse cycle was. We are with Origin and our rates are lower than yours.

We have an in home monitor that we use to monitor our electricity usage. This is great for working out what we do that uses more electricity and we have adjusted our usage accordingly. We recently borrowed an old fan heater to dry out bedroom carpet that got wet from flood from a broken washing machine hose. Immediately we could see that it was costing 80 cents per hour to run on high and 40cents to run it on low. Running it for a few hrs over two days cost us about $8. Better than damaged carpet but wouldn't want to use this form of heating.

Thanks for the clarification on this and the leccy. If your townhouse is newish it is probably well insulated and there will be less outside walls and windows than the standard Aussie bungalow style house. Is this correct?

Ours is an 80's double brick house with gaps around the windows. We do have some roof insulation though lol.