Snakes & Ticks

Guest OZBOURNE

Guest OZBOURNE

Hi there,

We are are due to emgrate to Adelaide in October this year.

As you can imagine it is alI very daunting and there are lots to sort out.

The biggest concern we have is our two cats and reports we have heard regarding snakes invading the suburbs and the tick problem that can kill our two little furry friends.

Please could someone give us some advice on these matters.

Is it safe to bring cats?

Are the suburbs overrun with snakes?

Are there any methods to protect your cats.

We would appreciate your comments.

Andy & Lisa

Plenty of people keep cats. Be aware there are often cat curfews in each local area meaning some will require you to keep your cats indoors 24/7 or on your own property or else inside at night.

I think you are wondering about the paralysis ticks. My understanding is that they are usually more common along the east coast than SA but you can do some reading in to that. Not to say SA is immune but don't panic overly. Checking your cats over often, making sure they have tick treatments and so on can all help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ixodes_holocyclus

http://www.karlmcmanusfoundation.org.au/lyme-information/ticks-in-australia

The paralysis ticks are not in SA so you are safe.

Snakes depends on where you are. In the suburbs you are highly unlikely to have a problem. I worked at a place in the foot hills and we had a couple of work cats. One of those got in a fight with a brown snake. He was very sick for a couple of weeks but lived. Apparently the venom doesn't affect cats as much as dogs... (How true that is I'm not sure).

Check the council regulations for where you are planning on living.

I have three cats, but they are house cats (with an enclosed run in the garden). I wouldn't feel safe letting them roam. More people here leave their dogs outside all the time. I have heard a few people saying their dog has killed a cat which came in the garden. Also, many people are quite anti cat here. They kill native wildlife, and I have heard more than one comment proudly about shooting cats! Snakes never enter my head as a hazard, it's the car haters and dogs.

I brought my cat from uk- he has settled well in tea tree gully area and he is in overnight. Tbh, he is 11 years old and doesn't venture very far, only to our next door neighbours who are lovely. Ticks occur in uk so just be vigilant....I did catch him eating a little black lizard tho.

The locals tend not to like cats so thats the biggest risk. Cats are seen as a non native invasion (shame the local Germans don't see themselves in the same light!) that eat the local wildlife and should be shot.

This may be true in the country but tbh apart from real bogans, I've never found anyone in "normal" (read "metropolitan") Adelaide that expresses this view, or certainly no more than you'd find in Britain. I know lots of people who have cats, ourselves included, and like everywhere the biggest threat to them is traffic rather than anything else :sad:

I think more people keep their cats inside over here than the UK and more keep their dogs outside. I am not sure of council laws in SA but in Victoria they have cat curfews ie cats not allowed out from dusk until dawn and some councils have a total ban on roaming cats. Personally I prefer cats to be indoors only but that's a total different thread.

I think more people keep their cats inside over here than the UK and more keep their dogs outside. I am not sure of council laws in SA but in Victoria they have cat curfews ie cats not allowed out from dusk until dawn and some councils have a total ban on roaming cats. Personally I prefer cats to be indoors only but that's a total different thread.

Is my cats run ok? ;-)

[video=youtube_share;YWdFQyEeq4U]