Australia’s Pet Owning Population
• More than 63% of Australian households own a pet, of these:
- 40% own dogs
- 26% own cats
- 53% own a dog and/or a cat
• At 63%, Australia has similar pet ownership as the USA
, while only 43% of UK homes own a pet.
• In about two-thirds of cases a woman is the main carer and
decision-maker in relation to the family pet(s).
• 91% of pet owners report feeling ‘very close’ to their pet,
reinforcing that pets are an integral member of the family unit,
• More than 83% of Australians have had a pet at some time in
• Of the people who do not currently own a pet,
53% would like to own one in the future.
• In total, 44,700 Australians are employed in
the pet care industry.
You will find more state specific information here http://www.acac.org.au/pdf/PetFactBook_June-6.pdf