Monthly outgoings for a family of three in a 4 bed house

SwanseaJack

Hi

Know this has probably been asked a million times just wanted a rough guide to monthly expenses on the necessities. Council tax??.

Gas, electric, phone, Internet, tv, water, food, petrol, Medicare, childcare (dropping off at school at picking up from school) etc can add mortgage/rent later

Just looking or a ball part figure, trying to work out what salary we need to earn to live comfortably.

Thanks kathy :confused:

Hi

Our electricity is around $450 a quarter, broadband is $70 per month, rent $350 per week, OSH are is $92 per week for two kids after school only as you get half back from CCR

Hi thanks for that could just be me but what is OSH and CCR. See that you are a primary teacher. Same here hoping to start out on TRT then hopefully gain more after gaining a good rep. Any advise would be welcome

Thanks kathy x

Just looking or a ball part [sic] figure, trying to work out what salary we need to earn to live comfortably.

Depends on your definition of "comfortably" combined with how much money you will be bringing with you.

Today's petrol price is $1.50 per litre for the cheapest unleaded, a weeks rent would be somewhere between $300 for a regular house to $475 for a nice house in a nice area etc etc.

It's all subjective though. Cut your cloth to fit and you will hopefully be ok.

Guest vikkiann

We are a family of 6.

We don't pay for child care, rates you pay when you buy a house, the landlord pays it when you rent.

Our total outgoings for everything including gym membership is just over $800 a week.

I make most of our food myself from scratch but there are 6 of us!

As sidestep says everyone has a different idea of what living comfortably means.....I know of poms that earn nearly $200k and they whinge and moan about being bad off. If I earned $200k I wouldn't be moaning!

There was a good posting on gas and electric prices so have a look at that.

There is no tv licence to pay here.

OSH is out school care- same as after school club in uk. CCR is childcare rebate which you get from centrelink if both parents are working. We are fam of four and spent around $150 per week on food, $40 on petrol, $25 per week on gym. You could live on a salary if around $50k but it would be tight. We both work full time and hubby is top of teaching scale but has a contract for two years.

I would say what you spend is very personal depending on what you eat, what you do and also where you live. Don't rely on whatTRT work as a source of income unless you are extremely lucky, prepared to travel long distances or work in the northern suburbs this can be really hit and miss. I had no Trt in term1 and very little since, I am not the only one ( although others will disagree).

What does that mean? You lost me - sorry. The poster hasn't indicated where they will be living. What's long distance for one is short for another.

Edited by adelaidenow

• 2 weeks later...
What does that mean? You lost me - sorry. The poster hasn't indicated where they will be living. What's long distance for one is short for another.

I believe the poster m.jephcott was referring to TRT work which indeed means you can be called upon to work at short notice anywhere within the area(s) in which you have registered and the particular school in question can be a long way from home. One day you may be reasonably local, the next day you could be anywhere (or nowhere). As such Jephcott's post (which appears to have disappeared completely) was, I would say, fairly accurate.