mobile phones

Guest starky's

Guest starky's

Hi All, me and the family moving to Adelaide on Tuesday:smile:(finally after a 4 long years visa process), we want to get phones pretty much ASAP does anyone have any information that could guide us on the best deals?, i've looked on the web and vodophone seems the best averaging around $60-70 for an IPhone or Samsung??, all suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance..

Guest Mark&Yvonne

Hi there to get a contract here you need to pass a credit check and as you are new have no credit history so will need to show that you are earning. I brought my I phone from UK and just top up $30 a month which is plenty, if you already have phones then bring them and just get a pre paid sim when you arrive, you can get one from any supermarket or servo (petrol station). If you're phones are locked to a UK network the lock only complies in the UK.

Mark

Guest starky's

Hi Mark, cheers for the reply.

Yes we actually have Iphones here in the UK but I thought they would be instantly locked and therefore unable to use in OZ?, so we can just get Iphone sim cards and we are good to go?.

Yep you shouldn't need to pay to unlock if you are out of contract. Most phone companies have the instructions on their websites. Just make sure they're unlocked before you leave (if you're still in contract you may need to pay a fee) then you can shop around when you get here. I have Amaysim which is great - it uses the Optus network and I pay $40 a month for unlimited calls, sms, mms and voicemail within aus - calls to UK are only 6 cents a minute. Highly recommend!

Hello, I fetched my iPhone 3 over to Oz, forgot to get it unlocked before I came. Called into Vodaphone and Apple here, but unfortunately they couldn't unlock it from here and told me to contact Vodaphone back in the UK. My Husband sorted it on line via the Vodaphone website and I have to wait either 72 hours or if they have to contact the phone manufacturer it could take 7 - 10 days so might be worth getting them unlocked before you leave the UK. My first SIM card cost $2 from the Vodaphone shop in the city.

Jo