Calling smart internet peoples!

Guest Claire-n-tel

Guest Claire-n-tel

Evening all!

Just wondering if anyone had a different solution for us with our internet.....

We are in a rented holiday unit, living here long term tho, there is a landline phone but we can't use it for internet as it is expensive to use (goes through reception)

We have a pc which is mostly used by hubby, he has vodaphone mobile internet (dongle thingy!) he pays $30 for 2gb it is valid for a month but he uses it in about 3 weeks.

I have an ipad (old one ipad 1!) and i use telstra 3g i pay $30 for 3gb which is valid for a month and usually lasts all month.

We could commit to a year contract but not more as we will probably move from here.

So do we have any other options for cheeper internet? although i would still like to be able to use ipad out and about, (i do have option for 12gb for $180 lasts a year)

I am really not smart when it comes to internet etc so don't want to ask in a shop and be talked into buying stuff that is not much better for us....so over to you guys!

thanks Claire

I used to have a USB internet dongle with Vodafone and it was ok. Vodafone looks to do a 8GB plan these days and you can get a pocket wifi with it for you both to use (in theory). I tried the pocket one and it didn't work for me but that was a few years ago and they may have improved a little.

I get 5gb a month for $40 with Telstra on a wifi mobile broadband. You can connect up to 5 devices on the one device, wirelessly. I would look at these options amongst providers,basically you share the data around.

As I often do I would point you to whirlpool forums, they have the best and most up to date info.

Have you had a look at the amaysim data deals, they can be pretty good? I use them for my mobile and have been really impressed with customer service etc not as cheap as the $1 to phone uk on vodafone but at 6c a minute to call the uk it's been fab and when my ipad finishes its contract I will be looking at them for better value for the 3G.

we set up a pocket wifi vodafone account when we arrived and got 12gb for $39 it's been really good for reception plus you can connect all the devices to it unfortunately we started to go over due to skyping very regularly so can get expensive if you go over but other than that really good, we are only going to cancel due to having broadband installed recently. i think all of the dongles can easily be unlocked via your accounts so you can use other providers.

Just a thought can you create wireless hotspots from your ipad to the computer? Just a thought if you increased the data on the ipad use that as your router if it's cheaper option.

Edited by huggesy
Added stuffed

Guest Claire-n-tel
Just a thought can you create wireless hotspots from your ipad to the computer? Just a thought if you increased the data on the ipad use that as your router if it's cheaper option.

Um........this sounds good if i could do it because i could get the $180 option but tbh i don't understand what it means!?

On the ipad in settings (and I don't know if all generations of them have it) there is a personal hotspot one which you can turn on or off, and it gives a password for when you turn it on and there is a variety of options of how you can connect Bluetooth, USB or wireless. I find it pretty useful when I'm on a night shift and need to work off the laptop for word processing or something not supported by the ipad.

Does that make sense? Not sure if I have just confused myself!:goofy: But not sure on which ipad and iOS systems support this option.

Guest vikkiann

Will you be staying in SA?

when we signed up to have Telstra at home, we were told that if we move we can take it with us, might be an option cheaper than using dongles and better connection

Guest Claire-n-tel

Aww....the personal hotspot thing only started with gen 3, ah well!....

Vikkiann how were you connecting to telstra? We cannot do it through a phoneline unfortunatly

Guest Claire-n-tel
Ah, ours is through a phone line.

Bugger!....

thanks everyone for you help. that is all as clear as mud!......i told you i haven't got a clue!.....ah well!