• Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Baby shopping

Here, not there.
      4891 times
      Quote Originally Posted by NicF View Post
      Sorry Snifter, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. I think the fact that most of the mums you have spoken to have slept in the room with the baby is more a reflection on the circles you move in than what all mums do. The circles I move in are full of mums who have put babies in their own room straight away or at only a few weeks old. And my kids are 12 and 9 so not that much different in age to yours.

Blossom, what ever you decide to do will be okay. If you want baby in with you for 2 years that is fine, or if you decide to put baby in it's own room from the word go that is also fine. If you decide to breastfeed then having the baby in with you makes night time feeds much easier but if you are bottle feeding then it doesn't make any difference really as you would have to get up to get the bottle ready anyways. What ever type of parent you are you will find plenty of literature to back you up (along with plenty to condemn you). There is no right or wrong way to look after a baby, just as long as you are looking after it.
      I'm not disagreeing with you NicF. As I said, it was my personal experience when my son was a baby. I don't know what this 'circle' I am supposed to have been moving in is all about either. I had no friends who had babies around the time I did (nor any friends living locally either) and simply went to ante natal and then post natal groups in my local village and the nearby town. I seem to recall in my ante natal I was the oldest mum to be by 10 years and older than the youngest mum to be by almost 20 years, a varying group of people. The Mums I met came from all walks of life and backgrounds I'd think. I don't know much about them, I never really got past talking to them at the baby groups about baby stuff really.

I wasn't telling Blossom what she should or should not do, just sharing a couple of my experiences. I am sure she'll do what feels right to her when the time comes, I never was intending to come across otherwise, so Blossom if that was the case I apologise. I'm also going to step out of this conversation now.
      Blossom likes this.

Rostrevor, Adelaide
      1285 times
      Sorry Snifter, was probably coming over a bit harsh on you and didn't mean to really. I had a really hard time with my first because I felt I should be doing everything a particular way that went against everything I am as a person and I thought if I didn't do it that way my baby would suffer. Even though they weren't meant to be criticisms of my parenting style it was comments like yours that used to make me feel really inferior and like I was a bad mum. By the time I got to my second child I realised that being happy and comfortable in the way I am as a mum was more important than doing things the way everyone else is. Although by that time I had moved areas and everyone else this time was more like my natural parenting style anyway, which also made a huge difference.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123