Perth or Adelaide

Guest Keefo

Guest Keefo

Hi all, We thought we had settled on Perth but we are thinking about cost again. We have Case Officer, done police checks and medicals and hope to be in oz next March/April. Has anybody on here been to Perth and do they prefer Adelaide or Perth. Do you think it's cheaper in Adelaide? Are wages lower etc etc.

Guest Keefo

What are the general temperatures like in summer/winter like. You can research that but in reality what are they like, I'm guessing cooler than Perth.

What are the general temperatures like in summer/winter like. You can research that but in reality what are they like, I'm guessing cooler than Perth.

Our winters can seem very cold once you've been here a few years but the temperatures don't really drop much below the teens in winter, certainly during the day. We arrived at the end of July 2007, the locals were all wearing multiple layers, boots, coats and scarves. We wore t shirts, maybe a sweatshirt, and flip flops! These days, if the temperature drops below 20 C I'm ready to put the heating on! Our summers are beautiful, high 20's to mid 30's but yes, we do hit the 40's now and again.

Perth is very different to Adelaide, it's very new and modern whereas Adelaide is older, more dignified and infinitely more beautiful, as all the recent surveys will tell you. It all depends really on what sort of city you prefer, the availability of work and the lifestyle you want to lead... Just my opinion of course!

For me a big consideration would be how remote Perth is. Whilst it's a slightly shorter flight time to the UK, it's much further to all the Australian cities. I love that in Adelaide I can live a laid back lifestyle but am an hour/two away from Melbourne or Sydney for a weekend. Perth seems a lot more 'middle of nowhere' to me. Something to think about.

This is an Adelaide website so I dare say the relies will be somewhat bias against the cashed up bogans all living in Perth.

Never been to Perth so my views are clearly well founded! Flew over it once and it seemed a long way from everywhere else. Expensive apparently but how would I know (see start of paragraph). Does have the Australasian desert race though so it can't all be bad.

Go Adelaide! - except the southern suburbs as they're all full of POMS.

Go Barossa! - yeh thats about it. Forget Perth and move to the Barossa.

On a more serious note - I'd be inclined to fly over and spend a few days in both.

Guest Keefo

Thanks for that advice. I must admit only been to Sydney, Brissy areas before & only trouble now going to see both Adelaide & Perth areas is we would be eating into our budget but thanks for the advice. I must admit not being able to pop on a plane and easily visit somewhere else probably won't bother us. The amount of people that have said to us when we've told them we're off to oz is won't you miss being able to go see Europe etc...no we only go once a year for two weeks.

I think a maths teacher would probably have equal opportunities in either city, but for a CAD draughtsman you might find more jobs on offer in Perth. If you have exactly the right experience, qualifications and some good contacts in Adelaide you might be ok, but the job situation here in Adelaide is pretty dire at the moment.

Perth and Adelaide used to be 'sister cities', they are very similar regarding their CBD. I've visited Perth Dec2013/Jan2014 and living in Adelaide.

Perth is more modern and up-to-date and has great highways whereas in Adelaide the rental market is not so overheated like in Perth. In Adelaide you'll find cheaper accommodation and better quality houses to rent or to buy whereas in Perth you'll have more competition and lower standards in housing or the good houses are very far on the outskirts of the city.

In WA you've to travel far distances to see the highlights outside of Perth apart from Fremantle which is awesome.. In Adelaide the Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, Victor Harbour are on the doorsteps of the city.

Both cities have beautiful bicycle lanes, very well established ones and also both have beautiful beaches and nature. I love both cities and could live in both of them, besides Perth seems to be more overcrowded at the moment as I've spoken to my relatives living there. Perth has the best Botanical garden and a fantastic view from there over the Swan River and Indian Ocean, but when people live on the outskirts due to affordability they hardly see any of it. Adelaide seems to be the better choice to start a living in a new country. But like many said before depending on the job situation for you both.

Edited by Rabeah

Guest Keefo
Perth and Adelaide used to be 'sister cities', they are very similar regarding their CBD. I've visited Perth Dec2013/Jan2014 and living in Adelaide.

Perth is more modern and up-to-date and has great highways whereas in Adelaide the rental market is not so overheated like in Perth. In Adelaide you'll find cheaper accommodation and better quality houses to rent or to buy whereas in Perth you'll have more competition and lower standards in housing or the good houses are very far on the outskirts of the city.

In WA you've to travel far distances to see the highlights outside of Perth apart from Fremantle which is awesome.. In Adelaide the Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, Victor Harbour are on the doorsteps of the city.

Both cities have beautiful bicycle lanes, very well established ones and also both have beautiful beaches and nature. I love both cities and could live in both of them, besides Perth seems to be more overcrowded at the moment as I've spoken to my relatives living there. Perth has the best Botanical garden and a fantastic view from there over the Swan River and Indian Ocean, but when people live on the outskirts due to affordability they hardly see any of it. Adelaide seems to be the better choice to start a living in a new country. But like many said before depending on the job situation for you both.

Thanks for your impartial views of both cities.