Cheap furniture/charity shops etc

Growler

Hi we get our keys shortly for our long term rental and apart from buying a mattress and bedding the day we move with a kettle and cups we have nothing. Were looking to see what CHEAP shops even charity shops are around so we can try and buy some things. We will also be looking for a 2nd hand washing machine and a fridge so we will need to hire transport to go and pick them up. Ill be having a look on gumtree just wondered if theres anywhere people can recommend also for an old tv as we are brassique until the money starts to come in. Any suggestions would be welcome. Also any good van rental places that wont break the bank :-/ x

The Salvo shops are a great place for second hand stuff - and there's loads around. Also Goodwill; there's a pretty big one up on Cavan Road, Gepps Cross way and garage sales: if you see a box with balloons attached follow the signs :)

If you want new then Fantastic Furniture is cheap but I think you get what you pay for, obviously there's always IKEA. If you're looking to stock a kitchen places like Big W, KMart and Target are all pretty reasonable.

Guest Claire-n-tel

For big bits of furniture ie sofas, wardrobes etc savers in Noarlunga (second hand shop) always has lots and they are really cheap ie $25 for sofa and chairs etc

I love ikea - it's become my second home haha! Also kmart sell kettles and toasters for $7.50 - they have lots of cheap starter packs with plates, cutlery etc too. Obviously it's not too notch quality but they work and do the job :)

We got our couch from haggle - there's one on port road and in noarlunga too. The port road also has a haggle clearance across the road. They sell alsorts and the more you buy the more you can save! You just have to 'haggle' (sorry!)

Also there is a second hand white goods place on port road and the guys there were really helpful- we ended up just buying new from there as wasn't much different in price for the smaller fridge freezers and washing machines. They don't always have the new ones on display but they have them if you ask - also haggle with them- whatever the price is say you've seen it cheaper online and they match it.

Also sometimes people are selling/donating on here so keep an eye out! And target have good sales too!

Good luck :)

I'd keep your eye out on Gumtree or local signs for people having garage sales. Often you can find stuff at those. Furniture, electrical, TV's. Get there early else stuff gets snapped up. If they say from 7am, be there a bit before. If they say from 9am, get there at 8:45. I've gotten to sales a few minutes before the listed start time and people are walking down the street with all the good stuff already.

Op shops are good also but tbh most of our second hand stuff has come from gumtree or garage sales. Or off the street from time to time. Got a great coffee table this way. And a set of drawers.

Hi we get our keys shortly for our long term rental and apart from buying a mattress and bedding the day we move with a kettle and cups we have nothing. Were looking to see what CHEAP shops even charity shops are around so we can try and buy some things. We will also be looking for a 2nd hand washing machine and a fridge so we will need to hire transport to go and pick them up. Ill be having a look on gumtree just wondered if theres anywhere people can recommend also for an old tv as we are brassique until the money starts to come in. Any suggestions would be welcome. Also any good van rental places that wont break the bank :-/ x

Hi we are in exactly the same position as you! We will probably be in the same charity shops at some point!!!

Yesterday I had a good look in KMart and they have really good starter packs for kitchen utensils and I got a Bean Bag lounger Chair which folds out into a bed for $35 ...this is for our 10yr old daughter who loves it, so at least she has something to sleep on.

I bought the bedding and pillows from Ikea as they have some really cheap offers on at the moment, but I think we will be sleeping on the floor for the first few nights as we are desperate for a bed too but don't want to rush in and buy the wrong one!

At least with the weather being cool we can manage without a fridge initially. It's the washing machine I need!!!

It may be cheaper to pay for delivery rather than hire a van but I'm not sure about that yet.

Good Luck x

Guest Guest12727

Also look at Harris Scarf for bedding/towels and other homewares. Their stuff isn't bad and they have massive savings. There is a Harris Scarf in Rundle Mall (rundle Place upstairs) and also one that just does homewares at the big Gepps Cross Homemaker centre.

Otherwise, I would go Gumtree as well. You can select Free, and you will be amazed what people are giving away.

There is always savers at noarlunga sells abit of everything, cheap as chips, Manchester and more has some really good deals on bedding and generally your Kmart, big w and target.

Have you thought about maybe joining some of the local Facebook pages for buying and selling they can be really good, some may even help with delivery

Whereabouts are u? We got a load of stuff from Kmart but our stuff has been delivered from the UK today - I was going to box it up and use as our camping stuff but we're not planning on going anytime soon so if u wanted to borrow it....plates, cups, knifes, forks, frying pan, saucepan etc.....we're in Hallett Cove if your interested x

We've got a telly that the lovely Snifter donated to us when we first came that you can have. We've also got a set-top box and amplifier aerial you can have to go with it. We're moving house on Friday so when packing up can sort some more bits out for you, pm your address and we'll drop it off for you.