Bathroom renovation

Chris&Mel

My recommendation is to put in as long and deep a bath as you can fit, don't bother with a spa bath as most people I know who have one say they never use one, and corner baths are no good for stretching out in! Sorry, I know that's not the sort of recommendation you were referring to, but we are just in the process of putting in a new bath and this is the results of my research! The free standing baths look lovely, but I couldn't help thinking how hard it would be to clean behind them in the average australian-sized bathroom! (And anyone who knows me will realise how serious it has to be before I start considering ease of cleaning!) Oh, and get one of those flashy loos where the loo seat gently lowers itself - they are awesome!

Who lowers the loo seat?

I do, and strangely enough, we're having one fitted next week. The unit cost us $225 but don't know the plumbers cost yet. We went to Distinct Bathrooms on Sherriffs Road, Lonsdale.. Very nice service. We had a new shower from there as well.

+1 with the big bath. Best one I had here was in our on-arrival accommodation that had a big old cast iron one that I could completely submerge in and at 6' tall that's a rare luxury. Most Aussie baths seem suitable only for Hobbits.

We did 2 bathrooms in UK, and found the same. I dont think it's an Aussie thing at all.

We used Brian McKenna, recommended to us through our tile suppliers. He was by far the cheapest quote we had (we had $9k, $14k and $21k for the same job!). Worked hard, always here when he said he would be. We had to wait about 3 months for him to be free though as he was pretty booked up. His number is 0414482920 (or at least it was!).