english food

duncan-clan

now have posted a thread a while back but cant find it...well ive been to the big supermarkets in adelaide and im looking for english food coles, k-mart and the cheapo place foodland seem to do little stuff for us pommie's , does anyone know where i can buy stuff or order from the net

alex

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest philnjulie

Hi,

I Think There Is A Shop Somewhere In Glenelg That Might Be Of Interest Might Need A Bit More Investigation Been Unable To Find On Last Trip That Way, If You Fancy A Coffee On Sunday Send Us Pm Phil

I think Phil's talking about The Lolly Shop in Glenelg, there's one in Christies Beach as well. I've got to be honest though, I think it's a complete rip off, no way I'm paying $8.00 for a small jar of marmite when I can buy Our Mate from Coles for about $3.50! They only really stock crisps and sweets mainly anyway I think. Sorry Alex, I think you're gonna have to bite the bullet and embrace Aussie culture and Aussie grub! Although if someone could bring me over some Bisto gravy granules...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest jojo

[Although if someone could bring me over some Bisto gravy granules...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hi Liz

i found some quite cheap in the shop downstairs next to coles in the Collandes ( i know spelt wrong) and i am sorry in a moment of weakness i gave in and bought some pickled onion monster munch!!!!:biglaugh:

Jo xxxx

Guest jojo

Alex

i am sure in the "english section" ( inbetween the indian and mexcian food) in Coles there might be some branston pickle!! but dont quote me on it as i dont like it im afraid.

I

have already had my red cross parcel from my friends with lots of packets of jammie doggers in. i know sad but sorry just had to be done:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

Jo x

Coles in Reynella definitely sell Branston Pickle and they have Robinsons Lemon Barley Water and Hellmans Mayo as well. For some bizzare reason they also sell gravy browning, Scottish oat cakes and Alpen muesli, all in the "English" section! Jo, I didn't know you could get Monster Munch, I'm up at Collonades tomorrow so I'll have a look for myself!

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Alex,

there's another shop in Ingle Farm which sells English Chocolates... and there's tonnes of choice on line :

http://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/ expensive but large range

http://www.atasteofhome.com.au/?gclid=CNfFwrO8o5MCFQ4UiQodrU5S5A cheaper and aussie based

http://www.beerstore.com.au/detail.asp?beerID=295 if you miss some english beer, but parafield airport sometimes has Carling Premier in stock...

Coles in Ingle Farm (about ten mins from Mawson Lakes) has some British food - Weetabix, Branston Pickle, Hellmans Mayo, Robinsons Barley Cordial, Birds Custard Powder and various other things. There is a small 'international' section with most of it, but the pickle and mayo are in the normal aisles now.

Kerry

Why not try the local food and assimilate your taste buds.:) I think the price of those imported foods is a complete rip off. You can buy Branston Pickle, HP sauce, McVities Hobnobs and digestives in the normal aisles at Coles. The Lolly shop at Glenelg sells Bisto gravy, crisps, chocolates and sweets. It is on the right hand side as you head down to the bay,

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Just make do with Witchetty grubs and mealworms like the rest of us, I'm a Celebrity get me out of here......................................................

Guzzler

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Just make do with Witchetty grubs and mealworms like the rest of us, I'm a Celebrity get me out of here......................................................

Guzzler

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Dont worry Duncanclan a few more weeks and youll be over it! There is nothing I miss food wise now, and plenty I would miss if I went back!

sarah

Guest Devon
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Dont worry Duncanclan a few more weeks and youll be over it! There is nothing I miss food wise now, and plenty I would miss if I went back!

sarah

Sarah, you are so spot on. I'm getting ready for my trip back to the UK next week. Thought right I'll go with an empty suitcase and bring it back full. Went to do my list of things to take over to the UK and my list to come back again.

Things to take include, bottles of wine, tim tams, cakes from various places and loads of other things

Things to bring back Herbs de provence! :biglaugh:

Improvise and make do.

I was told that if you keep saying "in the uk we can get......." and "we love ......... and can't find it here, I really miss it" then you will be told by the aussies, "well just go back then if you miss it that much!"

Embrace what is here, try new things, you'll always find things that you enjoy, you just have to look a little harder without it hitting hard on the pocket.

Guest Rob and Clare
Improvise and make do.

I was told that if you keep saying "in the uk we can get......." and "we love ......... and can't find it here, I really miss it" then you will be told by the aussies, "well just go back then if you miss it that much!"

Embrace what is here, try new things, you'll always find things that you enjoy, you just have to look a little harder without it hitting hard on the pocket.

I remember a trip to London and we went into the Aussie shop in Covent Garden and bought Tim tams, vegimite etc. It was packed full of aussies, I don't think any of us think they should they go back to Oz if they miss vegimite that much. It's only a little luxury. I think the aussies are equally sympathetic to us.

I just think that for anyone who has travelled, your world becomes a bigger place, and for all of us on the other side of the world our tastes are broader than people who have only lived in one place. I still miss loads of things from blighty, a good carvery, local balti curry, an english chinese (that does sound naff i admit), if i went back to england, my god i would miss Salt and Pepper prawns from Holdfast shores, crown beer, the best steaks in the world at the Bombay Bicycle Club.

And because of this I don't mind every now and then just treating ourselves to some british food from an expensive import shop, it's not every week, or even every month, probably once or twice a year.. Hopefully it doesn't make us a bad migrants...

Guest mysnix

The deli in Flagstaff Hill has a section for UK foods and American. The man in there said they just can't keep up with demand and are currently expanding. There is also a lolly shop in Blackwood (sweet something - it is round the back next to Blackwood Pets) they do a few things, but pretty hit or miss.

Otherwise there is the lolly shop in Glenelg or the sweet shop in Hahndorf (which is reallly good - but obviously expensive). Pasedena foodland has a section, as does the foodland at Woodcroft - other stores have odd bits on and off too.

Nikki

x

I remember a trip to London and we went into the Aussie shop in Covent Garden and bought Tim tams, vegimite etc. It was packed full of aussies, I don't think any of us think they should they go back to Oz if they miss vegimite that much. It's only a little luxury. I think the aussies are equally sympathetic to us.

I just think that for anyone who has travelled, your world becomes a bigger place, and for all of us on the other side of the world our tastes are broader than people who have only lived in one place. I still miss loads of things from blighty, a good carvery, local balti curry, an english chinese (that does sound naff i admit), if i went back to england, my god i would miss Salt and Pepper prawns from Holdfast shores, crown beer, the best steaks in the world at the Bombay Bicycle Club.

And because of this I don't mind every now and then just treating ourselves to some british food from an expensive import shop, it's not every week, or even every month, probably once or twice a year.. Hopefully it doesn't make us a bad migrants...

Of course it doesn't make us bad migrants, but we are in Australia we have to take what they give us. I miss things, but i'm not hunting round for the same brands, I am trying to find other things that could possibly match. It's a process of elimination really and finding things that closely match what you were used to, that's all.

I just wouldn't pay the prices that they charge, I don't miss the things that much.

Guest Devon

I'd tend to agree with the aussies that felt that way after all we are now in their country. :notworthy: I used to buy the english bits of food that I could find and then felt it was crazy paying so much more and wasn't embarking on our new life down under. I'm sure there would be a lot of english people who would say the same back in old blighty if they were asked for different food that they didn't have in. Have to draw the line at kangaroo though and not just cos I'm vegetarian:biglaugh: Just the thought of eating skippy makes me want to cry:nah::biglaugh:

Guest Rob and Clare

At the end of the day such little treats make no real difference to anyone else, but just remember some 60% of migrants go back to england within 5 years as they can't settle, miss family etc.... and if getting some things that remind you of home helps then I say why not.

I'd tend to agree with the aussies that felt that way after all we are now in their country. :notworthy: I used to buy the english bits of food that I could find and then felt it was crazy paying so much more and wasn't embarking on our new life down under. I'm sure there would be a lot of english people who would say the same back in old blighty if they were asked for different food that they didn't have in. Have to draw the line at kangaroo though and not just cos I'm vegetarian:biglaugh: Just the thought of eating skippy makes me want to cry:nah::biglaugh:

Mmmm, I've eaten Skippy and I can tell you he was delicious! He tasted even better with a blob of HP Sauce though!!!

Guest Django
I've eaten Skippy

You fool :mad: Now he can't tell Matt that little Sonny has fallen down a well in the middle of the outback while trying to save Clancy who has twisted her ankle. OMG what ever have you done woman. :shocked::shocked:

Pete

Guest Devon

The Monaghans and Django - one of you is cruel:unsure: (only joking)

The other has lost it since getting his visa but that was a very good story:wacko::biglaugh: