Solar Panels running AC??

erobertson

Hi all,

I wonder if I could pick some brains about solar panels??

We bought a house last year and have always planned to put solar panels on it. I'm a bit confused about sizes etc. we seem to have a low energy consumption with our highest in peak summer summer being 9kwh a day. We don't have kids so expect that will rise if we do, so I'm thinking of getting a 3kw system which should generate about 12kwh a day (apparently)

My question is, will a system of this size run our AC unit? Does anyone have experiences of solar and running their AC?? We have a split ducted system servicing the whole house.

Thanks

Emma

Well, we have panels and then whatever they earn us comes off our electricity bill. So once the lighter longer days come round we'll clock up more from the panels. We are good to run our ducted evap air con and still only take a minor hit on the bill front. We get 52c per kW though, which isn't the norm nowadays, it's far less.

We also have solar hot water which is another saving.

Guest Guest75

Dunno if I have this right - but a solar system puts KW back into the grid or subsidizes your usage.

Seriously need at least 3KW I'd say if not up to 5KW system.

We do not consume masses of power and our 5KW system puts us into credit at certain times of year.

We have just had our bill from the least sunniest quarter and come out nearly level with $22 owing. Now we are seeing more sun our next bill will be nicely in front. It's all about averages.

Our system averages 20KW per day at least and some days 32KW.

Some of this depends on how your panels are situated - ours all face North and at a pitch of 21 degrees, no shade - apparently perfect.

Edited by Guest75

If you install a Solar System nowadays there is no government feed-in tariff. There is the minimum retail tariff which is currently 7.6c/kWh and reducing all the time.

There is little point installing a large capacity system these days as anything fed back into the grid you sell for 7.6c and buy back for about 32c (per kWh). The wise thing to do is to install a small unit to cover the house usage i.e. A/C, Fridges, TVs etc. So try to match the system to your average usage and no more.

Your house usage will run off the solar, only usage above and beyond what the Solar generates will be taken via the meter.

Thanks guys, I wish we could get the old feed in tarrif some of you are on! It's really poor now and they're also talking about doing away with the grants for installing it.

Im thinking we need a 3-4kw system as have a new house and appliances etc so well insulated and energy efficient. I'll have a with chat the inevitable sales guys who will no doubt come swooping round, was just trying to get an idea as don't want to pay for more than we need given that there's no money to be made from it these days.

thanks heaps