Online Pharmacies

flossybeth

I've just placed an order with a UK online chemist but the parcel's going to a friend in the UK to bring with her when she comes in December.

The items are only antihistamines and headache relief type medications but are so much cheaper than from here - even if I'd wanted them posted to Australia it would still have worked out cheaper but would they clear customs without any trouble if I had them sent direct? What sort of things are OK to have sent - I'm thinking more the bulk of the order than the actual items; for example 3 bottles of Piriton syrup along with 2 bottles Calpol of is probably OK but if I started adding in adult paracetamol or ibuprofen or nasal sprays for hay fever where would customs say enough?

Guest Guest14361

Here's me thinking mods knew everything lol! Your friend I think is being very good, especially when she gets to customs here and if they stop her and find her a walking chemist? Headache relief tablets I buy are $1.99 for a 100 tablets, these are cheaper in the UK?? I buy ibuprofen here for around $7.00 and my nasal spray just cost me $12, by the way I shop at discount chemist warehouse if that helps.

I know we can all get cheaper goods on line from overseas, and that Aus can be an annoying rip-off, but shouldn't we be supporting OZ business's and jobs wherever possible especially in cases when we are only talking about very few dollars on an irregular basis.

I am guilty of this too but it has diminished over the years, even when we go back to UK on holiday about the only thing we fetch back now is Bisto Gravy powder (not gravy granules as that is readily available in OZ).

I am happy with the discount chemists where the headache tablets I need sometimes, are at least half the price I was been ripped off for at normal chemists. I look for anything that we normally use (from any shop) is on special then stock up, and find it often lasts until it comes back on special.

You can get bisto powder here too.

Antihistamines are WAY more expensive here, which if you are taking one a day it soon adds up. I wouldn't have thought you could post them over, but who knows?

Wouldn't it be a bugger if you were allergic to gravy powder too!

I would have thought that so long as they are over the counter drugs (Australian counter that is) kept in original packaging and they are declared as such and for personal use on the customs form when posting then it should be ok, one way to find out blossom.

Keith.

The items she's bringing are 3 bottles of Piriton syrup (they cost me 3.55 pounds as opposed to Claratyne syrup from here for $15 a bottle) and 2 sticks of 4head which I just can't find here (http://www.4headaches.co.uk/) so I don't think it's too much of a problem. The Piriton is for the children who are currently going through their annual bout of being allergic to Australia - both the pollen and the bugs, so with at least 2 children taking the medicine twice a day we do go through it.

I try very hard to support Australia and it's businesses, I really am an ethical shopper - shopping at the Farmer's Market, looking for the Ausbuy symbol, buying Dick's Smiths products over the cheaper Masterfoods or supermarket own brands, Laucke flour, even down to buying Aussiemite instead of Vegemite because it's made in Strathalbyn but sometimes I just have to look for the cheapest option for us. For example I bought 5 pairs of shoes online from Germany; 3 pairs for me, 2 pairs for my husband - they cost us just over $300 (Birkenstocks, Keens) I bought my son 2 pairs of shoes from Blondies in Aldinga because his feet are still growing and I prefer to have them sized and checked for fit and they cost us just shy of $200 (Crocs and Keens). And I know that I could get cheaper shoes and keep replacing them but I prefer to buy shoes which fit well and will last. So sometimes we just have to swallow the ethics and save the money.

And the only other thing I've asked her to bring are Beanos, not even one little M&S Walnut Whip...

Flossybeth, my mum was over recently and bought a few bottles of lotions and potions I can't get here. She declared on entry to Aus (via Singapore) and had no issues. They didn't bat an eye.

She had prescribed medication which she also declared and was labelled for her use etc. Also fine.

I came over last year with paracetamol, aspirin, anti histamines, Calpol and more and it was fine.