Top Loader Washing Powder

flossybeth

I very rarely buy washing powder (I usually make my own) but with some of my son's clothes looking a bit grubby I thought I'd get some "real" powder; spent ages staring at the different boxes, spent $20 on some OMO Intensive got it home, poured it into a plastic tub and realised it's for a top loader - I have a front loader.

The instructions say not to use it in a FL - is there any good reason for this (presumably there must be or they wouldn't sell them separately)? And if there really is a good reason not to use it in my machine does anyone want the powder for their TL?

Guest Claire-n-tel
I very rarely buy washing powder (I usually make my own) but with some of my son's clothes looking a bit grubby I thought I'd get some "real" powder; spent ages staring at the different boxes, spent $20 on some OMO Intensive got it home, poured it into a plastic tub and realised it's for a top loader - I have a front loader.

The instructions say not to use it in a FL - is there any good reason for this (presumably there must be or they wouldn't sell them separately)? And if there really is a good reason not to use it in my machine does anyone want the powder for their TL?

I am currently using a big box of top loader powder in my front loader machine......

i read ear you should use a bit less which I did to start with.....then forgot about it and started using a full scoop and have had no problems :jiggy:

I've also bought top loader washing stuff (I use liquid not powder) before. I've done it twice now. The first lot I gave to my mother in law but this lot I'm just using in my front loader. I can't say I've noticed any problems with it being really sudsy but I use less than it say to anyway so I probably don't use enough of the normal stuff.

Just as an aside, the only time I get loads of suds in my washing machine is when I wash towels. My washing machine then takes longer than the program is supposed to take, presumably to wash all the excess soap away. If your machine doesn't detect soap levels and you end up with lots of suds you might find your clothes come out still soapy, but you could just put them back in for another rinse.

My daughter uses soap nuts, as she has a son who has skin allergies.

She has used them at home for about 6 years, but they were expensive and difficult to get here. We had to get them from a shop in the city.

I wasn't that impressed with the whitening abilities, but that may have been the way she did their washing in my machine, all colours together.

I went back to washing my way when she left.

I still have some sitting there, they look like brown wooden seed pods.

My daughter uses soap nuts, as she has a son who has skin allergies.

She has used them at home for about 6 years, but they were expensive and difficult to get here. We had to get them from a shop in the city.

I wasn't that impressed with the whitening abilities, but that may have been the way she did their washing in my machine, all colours together.

Thanks, cliffy :wubclub:.

I've seen them in the vegan store, and they weren't that expensive, but too much for me to just try.

I don't think I'll bother now since I like my Earth's Choice brand which is cheap and does the job anyway. I did like the idea of using them though.

LC

Well since it's already opened I'll give it a try - I never use full dosages so that'll be fine.

I never quite tried soap nuts but I did use those magnetic ball things for a while - until the little ones ran off with them once too often. Nothing will bring whites up like a "real" powder because they use optical whiteners (which is why I thought some of our clothes could do with a dose) but the sun here helps.

Washing powder is really easy to make - 2 cups of washing soda (NOT soda crystals), 1 cup of Borax, 4 cups of soap (I use Lux Flakes but you can grate a bar of soap) and then if clothes are particularly greasy you can add a spoon of bi-carb to the wash. Fabric conditioner is 1 cup of conditioner, 1.5 cups of vinegar and 3 cups of hot water - mix it all together. I make the powder because it works out cheaper (and has a lot less chemicals in it) but I make the conditioner because I can choose to use a conditioner which has a lot less chemicals in (no parabens, SLSs, no palm oil etc) so it doesn't make it any cheaper just better for the environment and us.

I also think that the make of washing machine and the brand of washing powder has a lot to do with it.

I have 7 front loader Samsung washing machines and they are quite forgiving if top loader powder is put in them! Lots of extra suds but not a major issue as hey don't spill out of the machine!

However, I still have one Whirlpool front loader which is 5 years old. If you put top loader powder in it froths out everywhere like a foam blanket on a runway! It ruined a laminate floor a couple of years ago.....

I also find that the best purchased powder is OMO Ultimate. Since changing from a cheaper brand I have managed to get some horrid stains out of towels etc that other powders wont touch.

I have converted to OMO (front loader), but I always wait for it to come on special. Woolies and Coles usually have it for half price when they are on special.

My Aunty years ago was told when she was buying a new washing machine to not use the amount of powder stated and use about half the amount. The lady in the shop said it was a con just to get you to use more powder. I don't know if that is right or not, but ever since then I only use about half the recommended amount. OMO say to use 1.5 scoops for a full load, I usually put in half to 3/4 of a scoop and have never had any issues.