Play Station 3 compatability

Linda21

• 2 weeks later...

A few notes on PS3 - all PS3 games are region free, so you can buy any game from anywhere and it will play, but I believe you have to buy DLC from the regions PSN store that you bought the game in.

I've never bought DLC so can't confirm, I do know you can have multiple accounts on PSN matched to different regions though.

Blu Rays ARE region locked so they probably won't play if not from your region, unless you buy one that isn't locked.

My understanding is that the PS4 is exactly the same.

More importantly is why would anyone purchase a PS4 - it's no vast improvement over a PS3 and worst of all, they make you pay a subscription

(PS+) to play the games you've already bought, online. But that's just my opinion :o

We've found blu-ray discs to play fine in our PS3 it's DVDs that are region locked and that can be a bugger. It's meant we have only been able to borrow blu-rays from our local video shop but now we've bought an Australian DVD player it won't play all of our existing UK DVDs but we can now borrow what we like and pick up the cheap DVDs in Big W or Coles. Why they need to still be region locked is beyond me - I assume it used to be to do with release dates? but given how technology lets you watch anything, anytime it's a bit rubbish.

I totally agree Wubbledoss but unfortunately when kids can no longer play with their friends as they have moved onto PS4s it becomes an issue, especially when you are dragging them reluctantly around the world! It is very frustrating when game manufacturers do this, especially when the games are not even compatible. I refused to buy it at Christmas for the same reason you said, but son has saved every penny to buy his own and got a great deal of a friend. Just wanted to make sure he could still play against his Uk friends once we land? Anyone out there with a PS4 or experience of this it would be great to hear from you. Thanks everyone for their comments.

Thanks Snifter. The kids are aware of this and are working on friends getting up early on weekends and holidays so they can play together. They won't be told so will have to find out the hard way, like most teenagers! It's as well he expects his mates to get up early coz he would struggle! lol

I can imagine lol. I await those teenage years to arrive in our house ;)

The reality is that those sorts of things can fall by the wayside from either end once you migrate as it's not the easiest thing to maintain. Though gaming may be a bit easier in some respects :) Also as you settle in to life in Aus and hopefully make new friends, get out and about, less time is spent on those we left behind. It's not a bad thing, just often how it goes. Some do struggle and spend a lot of their free time talking, texting etc to people back in the UK, not sure how that affects then the settling in and adapting as we fall in the former group.