Renting houses with security/roller shutters on windows.

etch123

Hi All,

I hope no one takes offence by this question, as I am still to get a hang of the culture down under, So here goes. I have been looking at a few neighborhoods to settle into after we migrate in a couple of months time. I have seen that some houses have Roller shutters on the outside of their windows, why are these installed? for security? if so does that mean its a bad neighborhood? or is it for some other purpose? should we stay away from such homes?

Again please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

We have those on one of our windows as it is a large window and Blossom is right it really cuts down the heat. I know you are talking about the shutters but in case you are also talking about the security screens (some of the older ones are pretty ugly) we have security screens on some of our other windows. We got them a long while ago so the security screens they make now are so much nicer, more streamline than they used to. I like to sleep with my window open and I just wouldn't feel comfortable from a security perspective if I slept with the window open and no security screen. I think any neighbourhood has the potential to be "rough". Also my kitties have sharp nails so if we didn't have security screens they would rip the ordinary screens to pieces (and they have done in the past - less stressful and cheaper for us this way).

Edited by Toni

I have had plenty of roller shutters fitted and plan to fit some more when finances permit.

The screens are great for blocking out the heat in summer and for trapping it in in winter. Close them during the hot weather but in winter allow the sun (hopefully!) to stream through and heat up the house. Then, trap the heat in to reduce your heating costs at night.

All homes have fly screens and these will be different types of mesh and thickness. I have the same issue as Toni with my climbing cat and have replaced some of the door screens with a heavier mesh. I am busy replacing the rental property fly screen doors with a heavy duty security type mesh...not because of security as we have been crime free for the past 8 years...but because people often walk into them and the flimsier screens get holes punched in them.

Before we moved here we had electric gates, and an electric fence, trellidoor heavy duty gates on all windows and doors, 3 guard dogs and armed response! Now we often leave the door unlocked...:biggrin:

If you get the self-install ones through Bunnings you'll save around 50% of the cost. They are dead simple to fit (if I can do it then anyone can) and all you really need is a sparkie to wire them in.

Bunnings have the option of mains powered roller shutters or a battery pack. With the battery option you don't need a sparkie!

If you have a family member that works at Bunnings you also get quite a discount on that price too...

Me and the OH are military kids. Although I grew up in Preston and my OH near Leeds we actually met in a pub in Cape Town!

That was "normal" living in South Africa. Visa came through and we took the first flight out...still call it "the evacuation"!

I was just being nosy!

It is a small world isn't it - I've met a lady who moved here about 3 months after us who lived in the street opposite me as I grew up and whose best friend in the UK went to secondary school with me.

I was just being nosy!

It is a small world isn't it - I've met a lady who moved here about 3 months after us who lived in the street opposite me as I grew up and whose best friend in the UK went to secondary school with me.

Nothing wrong with nosy!

We are Brits...our kids are South African / Brits...and our 7 grandkids (last one was born on Monday!) are all Australian. We are a real mixture or what. Add to that is that neither me or the hubby was actually born on the UK mainland...but I was born in a royal navy base in Mauritius and he was born in a RAF hospital in Germany!...British overseas territory. Makes life interesting when we apply for passports!

Quite a mixture eh!:biglaugh: