TV Xbox etc

Guest Chelseadownunder

Guest Django
Hi Guys

Can you use your UK TV (Plasma/LCD) / Xbox /Playstation

in Oz

You can but I believe tv out there works on a different frequency and, as I have been told, will only work with the help of a set top box like foxtel.

I'd take it anyway and use it for the Xbox and Playstation.

Pete

Guest philnjulie
Hi Guys

Can you use your UK TV (Plasma/LCD) / Xbox /Playstation

in Oz

hi , we brought a 46" toshiba rear projection tv with us from uk works fine without a set top box xbox 360 works with games purchased over here also hope this helps phil

Just to clarify...the TV may work but only on analogue - I've yet to see a UK Freeview TV/set top box that works over here. A muti-system TV will work but, as I said, analogue only.

If you do want digital (highly recommended) you'll either need to find yourself a box that supports scart (pretty rare) or get yourself an s-video+audio to scart cable, whilst in the UK - every STB I've seen over here, so far, has s-video and the quality is comparable to RGB video over scart. Have a look here for a cable: www.tvcables.co.uk

The xbox will work fine - PAL is PAL as far as the xbox is concerned. Fairly confident the PS should work similarly well.

J.

We brought ours over - plugged it in and hey presto - picture and sound!!

Most of the good, newer UK TVs have multi-system analogue tuners so you should at least get that. Australia uses PAL B/G (as does a lot of Europe) and the UK uses Pal I - if you're unlucky and don't have a multi-system tuner you'll get picture...but no sound :confused:

Guest Chelseadownunder

Thanks for the info on TV. How are you finding Adelaide ? I would really be interested to know your thoughts good and bad. Is it what you imagined?

Scott

Adelaide is turning out to be everything we expected it to be. It's not paradise - there are few places on earth that can claim that - but we came knowing what to expect and haven't, so far, been disappointed. It's not our first time abroad (to live) so we were fully aware that we'd have to start from scratch but forums like this one certainly take a lot of the hardwork out of it - definitely a good thing.

The relaxed outlook is one of the major reasons why I can't see us going anywhere else - friendly locals, great schools, cheap, clean public transportation again contribute to making us feel we made the right choice. Certain migrants complain of poor wages but that's to be expected when you enter what is a very different market, for most professions, as a complete unknown - if you're good at what you do - and the chances are that you are as they've let you in - then just go with the flow and enjoy the blue skies ;-)

On the bad side, electronics tend to be more expensive over here but UK warranties won't do you much good either. Other that that, I've honestly not found anything I don't like. You'll hopefully find that most of the other UK migrants have a similar mindset and we've met some great people in what is, effectively, a very short space of time.

If you have any specific questions, just ask - there's always someone willing to help.

Justin.