Removal or no removal

Guest Chelseadownunder

Guest Chelseadownunder

Heres a big question for you.

We have contents of a three bed house. Looking back would you ship it or sell as much as you can and buy new in Oz. Can anyone give an idea of what they paid and a good company. How quick is by air? Is by air mega bucks, only by sea I think takes ages. Did any of you share a container? I would be really pleased to here from anyone and their experiences/advice.

Scott (Still in UK):)

Guest minime

I would say bring EVERYTHING. We did not and it is the only regret we have about coming here.

We used crown relocations. They were great apart from we had a shared container. This cost about 1200 GBP for 100 cubic ft +insurance and it took forever to get here. The trouble with our things was they had to wait for another party to fill up the other part of our container.

In the end it took nearly 5 months to get here. Very frustrating when they say 6-8 weeks and it takes SO long.

I have heard John Masons are great.

Guest Django

I would say in an ideal world I would like to turn up in Oz with just a suitcase and start over. In reality look just how much this would cost. Add up all of your bits and bobs that you need to live day to day. Cutlery, clothes, cups, plates, towels, kettle, etc, etc, etc. It soon adds up and so shipping everything over makes a lot of sense. Once there you can, if you wish, replace everything at your leisure and when you can afford it.

As for sending it over sea is really the only option, financially speaking. I haven't done it yet as I'm still in the UK but have spent hours researching everything.

Pete

I haven't personally shipped gear out, but I do know that all those little things you need to run a house that you've built up over time cost large sums to replace....Think how much you insure your home contents for and that is roughly what you will be spending to replace a whole household.

Bringing your stuff over(unless old and about to fall apart) will tide you over for a few years while you get set up and you can always sell stuff as you replace it. You can rent furniture to tide you over until your stuff arrives, it takes about 3 months I think. To fly your stuff would be extremely expensive.

Hey Pete we did just that when we came back from London. A suitcase each and the Silver Cross pusher. Except my hand luggage weighed about 10 kg I reckon and I had to keep putting it down as I walked down to immigration. :) That was when your hand luggage was never weighed.

In it I had my sons large Brio train set and all the kids picture books.

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Bring everything you have got, a container costs around 3500 pounds, I doubt that you could replace everything here for that sort of money, timewise a container could take 6-12 weeks, we used White & Co and it took 6 weeks door to door no problems.

Good luck

Guzzler