Growing your own

NicF

Does anyone grow their own produce and if so what do you grow?

We only have a small garden (we have the kind of house @snifter would hate) and this is our first year in it but we have tried growing a few things this year and have been please with the results. So far we have only grown a few herbs and chillies but they have done really well. We also have a dwarf lemon tree that has done nothing but it doesn't really get enough sun where it is. I'm planning on moving it to a better spot at some point.

We are now in the process of planning what is going to go in the garden next year and are hoping to grow a few more edible things. It has to be the front garden though as that gets lots of sun and the free garden bed in the back doesn't really get enough to grow fruit and veg. I'm thinking that we will put in the dwarf lemon that's currently in the back, a dwarf lime, a few chillies, maybe a capsicum, possibly a tomato plant and a few herbs. I don't want the whole bed to be produce - I want a few flowers in there as well.

Our first year here we grew courgettes, aubergines, peppers (red and green), tomatoes and melons which all went wonderfully (although we had to learn new names for most of them!) - but then we realised that they need lots of watering right in the middle of the time we are usually away on holiday, so just grow chillies in pots and herbs and stuff now. We do have a fantastic mandarin tree that is loaded every year, and a lemon and a lime tree that have been slow to get going but have finally borne a few fruit. Our neighbours grow apples and oranges and peaches so we do swaps sometimes! Also there are pears, walnuts, figs and various citrus in the park and a wonderful mulberry tree if we beat the local italians to it!

Hehe, I used to have 2,500 acres to roam, so yeah, I like a bit of space :tongue: Its not all the houses per se I don't like but the squished together with roofs almost touching, no space between them. Row upon row in some places. And I've seen some with such tiny backyard space I boggled. Not a fan though of those long long narrow houses with a 5 minute walk from front door to back :nah: those I am really not a fan of the layout. Just can't get to liking those personally. Eek :unsure:

But onto the subject, fruit and veg..... :smile:

Most of the fruit in our garden was already established but we plan to clear one side (which is mostly roses and more roses) over the winter to turn into a veggie garden with more fruit trees. Our satsuma plum tree was incredible this year. I made many kilos into jam. Stewed a heap too. Also the nectarines were delicious.

We want an orange tree and to grow spuds, lots of herbs and tomatoes. Plus perhaps some raspberries. And I've earmarked a good space for chickens too :biggrin: We'll rotate what we grow veggie wise. Oh and I'd like an olive tree somewhere if it's possible. And avacados! A guy up the road grows them and sells them from the end of his drive. So if he can grow them, hopefully we can as our son loves them.

We we have a feijoa tree/bush thing too so more jam there. I'd never heard of that before but lo, it is a fruit.

We've fruit too in the garden, dotted around. All good.

At our old property someone had been "growing their own" - <cough> medicinal herbs.

It had self seeded all over the back paddock!!:swoon::swoon::swoon::biglaugh::wacko::wacko:

Me being the naive soul that I am I wouldn't recognise that stuff if I saw it. I'd be one of those ladies that comment on what a lovely plant it is and wonder where I could get one. :wubclub:

Guest Guest75
Me being the naive soul that I am I wouldn't recognise that stuff if I saw it. I'd be one of those ladies that comment on what a lovely plant it is and wonder where I could get one. :wubclub:

For reference...............

Cannabis1.jpg

cannabis2.jpg

Our first year here we grew courgettes, aubergines, peppers (red and green)

Yep, zucchinis, eggplants and capsicums seem to be the easiest to grow + tomatoes and herbs. We have a tiny plot and grow all these in containers. Our tiny lemon tree produced 12 lemons last year and its now nearly a metre high - it needs masses of water (and wee) feeding and plenty of sun!

We have planted lemon and lime trees loads of fruit on them ,sadly I moved the orange tree don't think it will survive .our tomatoes did really well but need so much water during the day .Our neighbour has a peach tree that overhangs the fence it had the biggest fruits this year ,but you have to be quick before the birds get to them .

off topic but if your stuck for a hardy plant that needs very little water ,likes full sun get a Yucca or better still ask me for a cutting

off topic but if your stuck for a hardy plant that needs very little water ,likes full sun get a Yucca or better still ask me for a cutting

Just be aware that eventually they will get HUGE. Assuming it's the normal one you are taking about, there are many different looking ones, but the elephantipes can get several meters tall and quite wide if it has good conditions.

I have lots of different fruit frees etc, although I'm afraid I've neglected them a lot since getting pregnant.

I have orange, lemon, lime, mandarin, coffee, almond, peach, olive, plumcot, plum, apricot, grape, fig, quandong, blueberries, apples and asparagus all in pots.

We have chooks and pigs and soon to be deer.....sorry if that offends veggies but we are meat eaters.

Hopefully later on this year we will be growies veggies, and fruit....on our way to total self sufficiency we are there with the amenities already...woohoo.

Free range, home eggs are amazeballs to cook with.

HG

• 9 months later...