British washing piwder and fabric conditioner.

bridgetoz

Hi Everyone. Sorry i know it sounds like a very silly question since there is lots of washing powders etc available in Australia as well but im just wondering does anybody knows of a place in SA where i can buy fairy or bold washing powder and lenor fabric softener. I miss that smell from home so sometimes would be nice to bring it to my home in Australia :) I have seen it on some international webpages but postage is so expensive. Surely some shop sell it in SA?!

Tia :)

Guest Guest14361

Your first post is about wash powder and fabric softner:err: obviously the visa / paperwork/ medicals/ removals/ tax file number/ bank accounts/ rentals/ jobs etc etc were all good, well done. I always use cold powder liquid and comfort, does a fine job on the skid marks, try it before spending heaps on other stuff

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Alas I can't suggest anywhere. I've never seen it sold in any of the usual supermarkets. Would be interested to hear if there is someplace out there. I doubt I'd travel too far or out my way for it though :unsure:

I've yet to find any soap powder here I really rate so can appreciate where you are coming from. Omo is Persil iirc and I used that to begin with. It didn't prove great so I switched. I use something else now and that isn't anything to write home about either. I've tried about 5 brands and settled on the least worst :cute: I've never used softener as it isn't good on some materials, has some nasty stuff in and causes towels to lose their absorbancy over time. I just wash and line dry to keep them lasting longer.

The thing I find with soap powder here is the smell doesn't linger once its washed and dried. My bedding in the UK used to have that lovely laundry scent held in it for ages and I used to love that fresh clean smell you got putting clean linen on the beds or putting on clean clothes. Here I don't get that ever. Its not a deal breaker or anything like that, in fact I hardly mention it to anyone but your post got me thinking about it :cute:

I am hoping a front loader with a wash over the temperature of what comes out of the hot water tap might improve things. I've used two top loaders here and both have chewed clothes, put marks onto clothing while washing and other delights. I bought those laundry protector bags to put items in and lo, my current machine managed to rip holes in that too. Am well hacked off and truly detest top loaders now.

Edited by snifter

O and I wish for huge packs of soap powder here. These small ones find me having to buy another every few weeks. Not to mention the price if my brand of choice isn't on special at the time :wacko:

Not needing to buy it for 3 months or more and being able to buy it in bulk when on special, so £7 a huge box instead of £12. Real bargin. Used to buy 5 or 6 of them and not need any for a year or so then :biggrin:

You'd be surprised. A friend of my hubby is a cabbie in Yarmouth and he goes to the cash and carry, stocks up on the things people miss (decent tea bags, pickle, marmite etc) and sells them on ebay. He's raking it in lol!

Btw, I know what you mean about clean sheet day, all the joy's been sucked out of it :(

You'd be surprised. A friend of my hubby is a cabbie in Yarmouth and he goes to the cash and carry, stocks up on the things people miss (decent tea bags, pickle, marmite etc) and sells them on ebay. He's raking it in lol!

Btw, I know what you mean about clean sheet day, all the joy's been sucked out of it :(

I can imagine small things like tea bags and marmite (thankfully I can get marmite in just about any Coles so all is ok in my universe) but some stuff seems a bit OTT but I guess it takes all sorts.

And yeah, clean sheet day, not quite the same since we moved here.

Thankfully I can get Yorkshire Tea in Coles and it's not that expensive and I have bought Marmite. I nearly caved the other day looking at the small bottle of Robinsons, but I had a word with myself and moved on lol. I hear Foodland in Osborne has big jars of Branston - I may have to investigate ;)

Thankfully I can get Yorkshire Tea in Coles and it's not that expensive and I have bought Marmite. I nearly caved the other day looking at the small bottle of Robinsons, but I had a word with myself and moved on lol. I hear Foodland in Osborne has big jars of Branston - I may have to investigate ;)

I see Branston in our local Coles and a few others every few months. Its a mid sized jar, a bit pricey, $7.95 I think it was the other day. The thing is I only ever fancy a cheese and pickle sandwich about twice a year so haven't bought it yet. But now we have a toastie maker I may be getting some in.

Guest Guest14361
Nobby what would make you think its not all done? Think before you send a smart reply......?. I didnt ask for financial or migration advice. Ive been living here for many many years so you dont have to worry ok.

by your initial post I thought you'd only just arrived, but obviously not if you have been here many many years, sorry for trying to help

I see Branston in our local Coles and a few others every few months. Its a mid sized jar, a bit pricey, $7.95 I think it was the other day. The thing is I only ever fancy a cheese and pickle sandwich about twice a year so haven't bought it yet. But now we have a toastie maker I may be getting some in.

Cor! Cheese and pickle toasties, now your talking, that or cheese and Worcester sauce lol!. Perfect winter snackage :biggrin:

I buy 'comfort' fabric softner as its the closest thing to uk..

Cant help with washing powder.. I miss using the liquid capsules.. surprised they haven't got them here!! I've resorted to buying what ever is the best offer in the shop at the time..

I also get tumble dryer sheets sent occasionally.. lenor make them ( or bounce) & as they're light, don't cost too much to post!!

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=266106094

Edited by monty9110
link added

We've always got a jar of Branstons on the go - never had any trouble finding it in any supermarkets and it's only (huh! only) around the $4 mark so not that much more pricy that other pickles and stuff.

Always worth checking out stores like Riteprice as well - I stocked up on Ambrosia Creamed Rice a short while ago (99c a can) from the branch on Churchill Rd (I think) - short sell-by dates don't worry me as it doesn't stay in my cupboard for long!

Scents are very strong when it comes to memory so it's not surprising that someone should nominate goods that evoke memories of good times somewhere else. Taste isn't so important.

Oh and Nobby, unfortunately your initial post did come off as being very smart arse. Glad to hear it wasn't intended.

For anyone that is interested Costco do the large boxes washing powder. Not so much the British brands but certainly the massive packs that last years. The one we got in November is still going strong and we are a family of 5 doing at least one load a day. I like the Biozet Attack in the mint green box the best here.

I also found that Costco sell large boxes of Bounce tumble dryer sheets which I like to use as drawer liners and in-between the towels and sheets in the airing cupboard (or stuffed into husbands stinky running shoes). I have a large box of the sheets sitting on my kitchen table and can smell them in every room at the moment.

Comfort pure fabric conditioner holds the scent the longest and I like to use it for sheets and for everything else I use white vinegar!

Edited by Kingpin