Where to buy furniture?

etch123

I don't know what shops are around in the southern suburbs but if you are after cheap furniture Super Amart or Fantastic furniture are good places to try. They both have stores all over so there should be something close by.

Edited by NicF

If you're not fussed about having modern / brand new items - or prefer more individual / older items - also consider looking on gumtree; there are some real bargains there.

Also not south, but there are lots of great antique and second hand shops on Magill Road, just east of the city where you can get some interesting pieces. Some of the shops have some real bargains.

Freedom Furniture has some good items too, especially whilst there's a sale on.

The obvious places seem to be Super A Mart and Fantastic Furniture (super cheap and ultra modern, good if you like 'matching sets' of furniture. Definitely the cheap end of the market). Also Harvey Norman... Le Cornu... both similar stuff in the mid-range prices. Ikea is same as Ikea everywhere (just don't compare costs to what it would be in the UK!)

We bought an amazing bed and mattress from a shop on South Road just south (next door to) the row of shops where Harvey Norman is, they're non-brand versions of the Sealy mattresses. Much cheaper and an amazing buy.

There's a store in the city called Early Settler and recollections. It's about 30 minutes drive (off peak) from where you will be living.

I also bought a lot of furniture from Le Cornu. There's big Easter promotions coming up very soon. Irrespective of the specials...don't pay full price!

In Morphett Vale there's a store called Whitehouse and they have tables, chairs, units etc. It's about 10 minutes away.

It might be worthwhile posting a thread to see if there's anyone going back to the UK around the time that you are arriving. People who are leaving want to get rid of everything.

My daughter often goes to garage sales and it's amazing what people are selling.... and the prices are cheap. Check the community newspapers and signs on the roadside.

One of the biggest expenses may be the small goods and it's worthwhile going up to Big W and K Mart for everyday items. Check your mailbox when you arrive. If there's a "no junk mail" sticker on it then take it off. The flyers can be a bit of a pain but they are full of specials everyday.

All the best

And don't forget Gumtree, or the local facebook "buy swap and sell" site to wherever you are. They are all over Adelaide and I have both bought and sold good furniture on those sites. Also, some of the larger Salvos stores, like the Darlington one have great furniture sometimes.

Depends on whether you are looking for new or not.

I've found a fair few things via Gumtree. Got a lovely Welsh dresser, matching dining table and 6 chairs. We've also picked up some gardening equipment, coffee table and a few other bits for hubbys shed.

General hardwaring stuff like kids bedroom furniture I hit Ikea.

Classic Timber top end of Anzac Highway has some really nice stuff. We got a great bedroom set and mattress pretty cheap. Solid stuff too. I had a problem with some streaky varnish on the bed end they delivered and they replaced it no problems.

there are a few places on that stretch worth a look. Again great in the sale and they will often do a deal if you buy a few things at once. Just ask!

most sofas are are on order so you have to wait but they need to rotate shop display stock. We bought off the floor for half the price. Just ask what they have to go now! Took us a while driving round places to find something we liked we liked but worth hunting for.

I am loving this thread! Writing everything down for future reference! I had a quick look on Gumtree a few months ago out of curiosity and there were some lovely things at reasonable prices. Had never heard of Le Cornu but have had a look and looks good. I was considering buying Garden Furniture here and shipping when we go but the Le Cornu and Ikea stuff looks ok so now I don't think I'll bother?

Guest wen66

We bought our garden furniture from Bunnings, very reasonable too:-)

Bedroom stuff and funky dining table from Fantastic Furniture, Sofa from Ikea as I didn't like any of the other off the shelf stuff. BBQ from Harvey Norman, white goods from The Good Guys. Didn't pay full price for any of it (except garden stuff). Remember to bargain and ask for discount, even if it's only a little, it makes a difference:smile:

We did traipse around quite a bit, to the point the kids where complaining, big style...except in Ikea, that's always fun and finishes with loadsa meat balls, with free fizzy drink re fills!!.....:jiggy:

Le Cornu's sale this weekend is looking very good and much better than their last sale (at least for me). Been here for 18 months now and am moving soon into my first unfurnished rental... slowly been buying all the bits I need in various sales since xmas and went yesterday to find the sofa I have been eyeing for 4 months is there, on sale, along with a smaller matching 2 seater. Managed to get both of them on order (perfectly timed for the week of moving house) for the price that the 3 seaters been on at all year. Plus I can pay in installments (without a loan/credit card/formal layby) as it won't arrive for 8 weeks :jiggy:.

• 2 weeks later...

When we first arrived, we did not have a clue where to buy furniture from. We ended up at Radio Rentals in Prospect. They have ex rental furniture upstairs and ex rental electrical down stairs (they came with a 3 or 6 month guarantee) Everything we purchased was in almost new condition.

Sadly we have been back a couple of times since and the furniture isn't in as good condition and the prices have increased.

We also purchased furniture from Haggle Huge discount store on Port Road but I think that has been made into a discount garden furniture only store now.

• 1 month later...

This is a great thread! We're moving to Adelaide in the first week of September (leave the UK on the 2nd and land in Adelaide on the 4th) and have been browsing online for furniture but had no idea where to start, so this is perfect. Going to enjoy spending the next 15 weeks looking at furniture for our new home down under :)

• 2 months later...
I've found a fair few things via Gumtree. Got a lovely Welsh dresser, matching dining table and 6 chairs. We've also picked up some gardening equipment, coffee table and a few other bits for hubbys shed.

General hardwaring stuff like kids bedroom furniture I hit Ikea.

Just had a look and there are some great deals on Gumtree. Im not going to ship my furniture when it comes to it after looking here!

There is also a facebook site in Adelaide where you can get cheap stuff.... have a look for downsouthadelaideswapsellgiveaway

If it's new goods that you are looking for I still haven't found anywhere that can beat my local Good Guys store in Noarlunga.

I recently bought a new fridge...compared the prices at Harvey Norman and surrounding stores and then went to GoodGuys. The saving at Goodguys was $224 on a $1000 purchase.

Ask for a pommie lady called Sheena and mention Tamara / Homesdownunder.