Blocked drains down south

kadina

Hi yes thanks for that but it appears so as its a drain on our property that keeps overflowing and affects the whole house....how would I know if it's the street ? You'd assume other neighbours would have problems ? If I was to get SA water out they'd charge me

Is the drain definitely blocked on your property? Last time our drains were blocked it was actually due to a blockage in the street and SA Water were responsible for clearing the blockage.

As far as I'm aware, SA water come out for free and if the fault is outside of your property, then you won't have to pay to fix it...

When we first moved into our rental, the toilet was really slow to drain (nothing to do with me I might add!!!) We told the letting agents and they said they wouldn't send a plumber until sa water had been round and confirmed the fault wasn't outside the property... It's very common so I'm told. They were here within the hour too :)

Thank you so much to you both I've never contacted SA water before have always assumed it's just my problem ...I've contacted them and they'll be out in the next 18 hours to check outside and advise if I need to take action if not outside.... Thanks again so much and fingers crossed it's outside 

As far as I'm aware, SA water come out for free and if the fault is outside of your property, then you won't have to pay to fix it...

When we first moved into our rental, the toilet was really slow to drain (nothing to do with me I might add!!!) We told the letting agents and they said they wouldn't send a plumber until sa water had been round and confirmed the fault wasn't outside the property... It's very common so I'm told. They were here within the hour too :)

Edited by NicF
fixed quote

Hey Kadina,

Hope you get on O.K with SA water and the blockage isn't your side? The "Government Inspection Point" in general can be found to the front of your property,(depending on were you live)? and if you lift this up and it is full of lovely dirty water then it is SA waters problem. If its NOT SA waters issue Give "Ken Hall Plumbers" a call,Ive heard they are very good.Oh because I work for them!!!!!!!Not being Biased or anything!!Good luck.

My drains got blocked hired a drain cleaner from Kennards $40, manual type so easy cleared in no time

That's worth knowing. We haven't had any problems with the drains since SA Water cleared the blockage in the street but our storm water pipes keep blocking up with all the leaves that get in them. Much cheaper to hire a drain cleaner that to get someone out to clear them for us.

My drains got blocked hired a drain cleaner from Kennards $40, manual type so easy cleared in no time

Thanks, Nobby! Is that using rods? I'm hoping not, because although $40 sounds a lot better than what we've paid over the years, I'm told that we wouldn't get rods down because of the bend???? IDK.

In reply to the op, we have temperamental drains We've had to call someone out four times over the last decade, and, because I'm so inefficient, I forget which company I actually liked.

I always start with SA Water, alhough if the blockage is your side of the inspection access-thing., they can't help. Ours have always been our side :( Last time I was told that if you tell them that the water is causing damage to your property, they come out ASAP (our last one overflowed A LOT. Luckily it wasn't backwash...!).

It's too late now, but as I'm sure you'd all know, they tend to charge like a wounded bull for weekend work, so waiting till Monday can halve the cost.

As for Ken Hall..... I'd try a small local, registered plumber first.

LC

Guest Guest14361
Thanks, Nobby! Is that using rods? I'm hoping not, because although $40 sounds a lot better than what we've paid over the years, I'm told that we wouldn't get rods down because of the bend???? IDK.

In reply to the op, we have temperamental drains We've had to call someone out four times over the last decade, and, because I'm so inefficient, I forget which company I actually liked.

I always start with SA Water, alhough if the blockage is your side of the inspection access-thing., they can't help. Ours have always been our side :( Last time I was told that if you tell them that the water is causing damage to your property, they come out ASAP (our last one overflowed A LOT. Luckily it wasn't backwash...!).

It's too late now, but as I'm sure you'd all know, they tend to charge like a wounded bull for weekend work, so waiting till Monday can halve the cost.

As for Ken Hall..... I'd try a small local, registered plumber first.

LC

its a steel coil wrapped on a coil and you feed it down the pipe until you hit the blockage , then turn the handle which in turn causes the end of the coil to grab whatever is blocking, then pull it back, one unblocked drain. I think it's around 6 metres long. They also do a bigger one, registered plumbers use the same machine. It's been a while since we used one, but if you return within 4 hours it's or was $40

this is the electric version mine was a manual exactly the same

http://www.kennards.com.au/index.php?fuseaction=product.view&productid=592&ctu=&type=Drain%20Cleaners&lvl=2#AKZVY4Ev3FhFI9x2.97

Edited by Guest14361