Cutting corners doesn't pay!

Beanbear

:arghh:

Help needed. We came over and bought a lot of our stuff on the cheap, including the vacuum cleaner and it's driving me insane. I've sworn at it, begged it to work and beat it to within an inch of its life and now I'm done. I am taking the executive decision to buy a proper upright that works and doesn't take me one hour to clean an area the size of a postage stamp!

Where do I go for a good deal? Also does anyone have any recommendations as to a good make/model - am totally desperate. :goofy::err:

Guest SA Great

Sounds like a scene from Fawlty Towers!!! I have found that Keith Bowden Electrical are really good value for all things electrical and they know what they are talking about. Thay are on South Road just south of the Daws Road intersection. I think the Dysons are really good and not too expensive. If you are a millionaire then go for a Kirby!!

Guest Globetrotter

I did exactly the same ! I found what I thought was a great bargin, turned out to be a waste of money as I had to go and buy another one a few months later- that'll teach me ! I bought the new one from the vac shop in colonnades, spent alot more money than the first, but at least it cleans the carpet !

Guest stufi1997

Don't buy a bloody Dyson they're crap..... I had 3 of them before I came out here and they all broke!! mind you I know what you're on about I got a really cheapie hoover when we got here too and it's driving me up the wall ($49)....Maybe dysons are better here but in my opinion they're overpriced gimmicks you can get a cheaper eqivilent hoover and you won't cry when you have to replace it. Then again I did quite llike my MIL non upright one. OK Rant over....in my defense, I just did the hoovering..............!!!

Thanks for all the advice, am going to find one today if it kills me. Have to say OH was less than thrilled at the idea, but then he isn't the one (on the whole) who wrestles with the useless piece of c**p! Now if I was going to spend our last few hundred dollars on a new Wii that might be a different matter! Having said that would be more fun than hoovering - perhaps we'll just have to live with a dirty house!

Hubby bought 2 for the price of 1 off the TV, you may know the ad where they lift up the wooden coffee table with the strong suction power of the hoover......Kids looked on incredulous wondering why their father was being sucked in..... worked great for first few gos and did infact have really great suction.......well you know how the story ends .....both in the next skip and we have fllorboards and only one or two rugs....:biglaugh:

Well, managed to get the hoover today and have just finished putting it through its paces! Very impressed. I chose a swanky Dyson (the most basic model, but still much better than any hoover I've ever owned.) Made light work of the house and left reassuring brush marks in the pile of the carpet (youngest child v.impressed also!)

As luck would have it the postie delivered a leaflet with a Dyson offer at Good Guys, so I thought I would get it there but stopped at Marion on the way to check out the competition. When I went in David Jones their's was more expensive but they agreed to price match, saving me the hassle of going elsewhere. OH seems less impressed than me, but am sure he wil come to love the high standards of cleanliness which will no doubt ensue!