Farmers Markets?

Tamara (Homes Down Under)

I saw this article about fruit and veg and realised that I hadn't been to the local markets for quite a while. There are a few tips on how to keep veggie purchase prices down here...

I like the Willunga market.

I used to go to the old Brickfields site before the new development. I also used to go to the markets at the showgrounds and local Christies Beach / Marion / Glenelg weekend markets.

Does anyone have any recommendations or favourites in their area?

How to slice your fruit and vegetable costs in half

August 3, 2015 5:11pm

ANTHONY KEANENews Corp Australia Network

bcb980ba776a724ebad971248f2ae977?width=650

Lauren Bucco, 25, says her family saves money by shopping for seasonal fruit and vegetables. Picture Dylan Coker

SHOPPING for seasonal fruit and veg will save you a bunch of money.

Food and finance experts say households can slice their fresh produce bills in half if they focus on what is in season.

Dietitian Themis Chryssidis, co-founder, with celebrity cook Callum Hann, of Sprout cooking school, says the savings are twofold — from cheaper prices and because local produce has a longer shelf life, which means less wastage.

He says the dollar savings depend on the product and where it comes from. “There’s a reduced cost of having to ship it over here”.

To find out what’s in season, you can visit produce market websites, Chryssidis says.

Base your shopping list around what’s in season. “You can save money, and it also generally corresponds to what you feel like eating — it’s nature’s way of helping us eat a varied diet.”

Winter is a season for root vegetables — great for soups — and citrus, but most shoppers don’t seek seasonal produce.

“I think people shop on a want now, eat now basis,” says Chryssidis. “I was in a shop and a lady was getting angry that the vegetables she was picking weren’t from Australia. I was close to saying ‘don’t expect asparagus from Australia in the middle of winter — it’s going to come from Mexico’.”

There’s a bounty of tasty goodness available year round and it will cost you very little says chef Themis Chryssidis. Picture Dylan CokerA Woolworths spokesman says it pays to be flexible when you shop for fruit and veg. “Cauliflower and Broccoli are in season but the cold snap has meant it’ll be a few weeks before we really start to see them ramp up. But when they do they’ll be great value,” he says.

“If you don’t mind something that is not quite perfect looking, go for something in our odd bunch range, which has the same quality but just comes in all shapes and sizes.”

MyBudget founder and director Tammy May says while buying fruit and veg in season can save you up to 50 per cent, finding a quality wholesaler can shave another $20 from your weekly food costs.

“Visit your local fresh food market or farmers market near closing time, when they are selling out leftover stock for up to 75 per cent off,” she says.

“If you have the room, growing your own fruits and vegetables can save you a bundle, especially when it comes to herbs.”

Lauren Bucco, 25, says her family always shops for seasonal produce. “It’s the freshest and the cheapest when it’s in season,” she says.

I don't find the markets particularly cheap to be honest. I do agree that buying in season is the way to go though. Even the big supermarkets are charging buttons for stuff that is bang in season and therefore a glut of produce to shift.

capsicums are cheap right now and juicy. Going to make my favourite curry with them this week. The sauce is made from blitzed red peppers ( yes still have difficulty calling them capsicums) and chilli plus various spices. Madhour Jaffrey's recipe from a very old book!

Brighton market on the opposite weeks to Marion iirc.

I also like the Stirling one and the Victor Harbor one if you fancy a drive or a change of scene.

How frequent are the Stirling markets? I like Stirling and it's not too far if I drive the hills route from here. Is that the Goolwa market or another one that they have in Victor?