Phone calls and phone numbers

Guest Chelseadownunder

Guest Chelseadownunder

Hi Guys

I have two questions for you, to date you havent let me down so here goes.

Can anyone recommend a cheap company for UK calls. Is there some sort of internet deal like BT HUB etc. I have Skype and I have MSN but if I have to phone a uk Land line or mobile.

Also has anyone worked out a clever way of keeping a UK number which they can pick up cheaply in Oz. So that the caller dials 01 or 02 .... and this then comes through via telephone or computer to you in Oz ?

Thanks in advance, I have every confidence in you !!

Scott :huh:

Guest Libby1971

Nick11, who is a rather clever lady, was trying to explain this to me today.

You can buy a phone card here. You dial a number on it which connects you to a number in Adelaide, and tell the operator which UK number you wish to be connected to. They dial it, and you have your call. Apparently it is cheaper as you are, in essence, just making a local call. Not sure how the rest of it works but a $20 card bought at Xmas is still going strong despite UK calls 3 x a week.

Libby

Guest graandjac

:)All that Libby says is spot on , we have one of the phone cards and $20.00 gives you about 1900 mins i think , but we also use skype which people dont realise you can also ring uk land lines on . We made about one and a half hours of calls on skype last night (to land lines) and it only cost 60p off our skype credit which was on our computer from the uk . Cheers Graham

Guest Nick11
Nick11, who is a rather clever lady, was trying to explain this to me today.

You can buy a phone card here. You dial a number on it which connects you to a number in Adelaide, and tell the operator which UK number you wish to be connected to. They dial it, and you have your call. Apparently it is cheaper as you are, in essence, just making a local call. Not sure how the rest of it works but a $20 card bought at Xmas is still going strong despite UK calls 3 x a week.

Libby

As well Libby - we have the virgin phone and computer deal - local calls are free so it only costs a couple of cents on our phone card. We've had a $20 phone card since christmas and we've still got half of it left - we phone the uk 3 times a week for about 30 mins a go!

Our phone bill is always $60 a month - including broadband(you do get hammered though if you phone a non virgin mobile - as I found out to my cost when I rang you!)

Guest mubley

Prefer a phone card - so cheap e.g Ozcall - there are "hundreds" to look look at in newsagents/post offices.

Strongly recommend Skype - get your UK friends to download it as well as yourself.

Had a video chat last night with a friend in the UK last night - cost nothing!

• 4 weeks later...

you can set up a skype subscription also , it costs about £9 every 3 months, and you can call unlimited landlines in the uk!!! Thats £3 a month!! Dirt cheap and this gives you a skype phone number too so you can get a skype phone and away you go!!:jiggy:you also get £1 credit so if you call phones like banks etc you may be charged x or you can just add credit as and when u need it and its dirt cheap too:)