Removal

Guest Chelseadownunder

Guest Chelseadownunder

Hi Guys

I need to check with you all what the rough cost of filling a 20ft container and shipping it to Adelaide would be.

The company we had out said they had to pack every box and it sounds really expensive but is it the norm that the company has to pack all the items?:skeptical:

Also have you got any other company recomendations other than PSS and White & Co?

Thanks in advance

Scott UK

Guest cunnah10
Hi Guys

I need to check with you all what the rough cost of filling a 20ft container and shipping it to Adelaide would be.

The company we had out said they had to pack every box and it sounds really expensive but is it the norm that the company has to pack all the items?:skeptical:

Also have you got any other company recomendations other than PSS and White & Co?

Thanks in advance

Scott UK

We are using ROY TREVOR REMOVALS (ask for Neil Trevor)they are based in Warrington

01925 630441

Gave us different quotes depending if they packed "everything" or if we packed "the smalls" or a lot more ourselves (which we will be doing).

We went over a 20ft container when they listed the inventory but now crossed a lot of that we could live without and now have a quote of around £3000 for a very full 20ft container!

hope this helps

Gill

Guest Trakki

The quotes we have had for a 20ft container have been around the £3700 mark. This includes them packing. We did look into packing it yourselves but then customs the other end tend to be stricter as they know the removal companies will not pack anything not allowed. We however have to take things apart ie beds that flat pack. If you leave it to them this can cost more but they then still pack the flat packed things. Also for insurance reasons, if they pack for you and something gets broken or the container sinks :goofy: the claim is more straight forward. We have decided to let them pack as with 4 kids it will just make life easier.

HTH

Guest graandjac

:)I guess the cost of your average 20' container comes in between £3,000 and £4,000 , that includes wrapping ,packing, delivery to Adelaide , then unpacking and removing all the boxes and rubbish if needed , you need to pay extra for insurance which is (if i remember ) 3%-4% of the value you put on the contents . There was also a small fee this side payable to customs $350.00 ish for clearing . Hope this helps , I did look into doing it myself but its just not worth the hastle and after watching them wrap and pack 182 boxes iam glad I paid to get it done . cheers Graham

Guest ali@51

Hi we paid about £4,200 with full packing and unpacking and the all singing and dancing insurance. This is somthing to watch as if you dont take pairs and sets and they damage say 1 chair in your 3 piece suite thay will just pay for the chair not the full suite!!!!!. One thing to watch with packing your self is that it sets a red flag for customs! and also the insurance. You also have to pay for the customs fees and you also need to check out what would happen if customs decide your container needs cleaning. John Mason have a slush fund that costs you £15 and pays the full cost of cleaning if required other companies we looked at left you with the responsibility for the fees if they were deemed necessary.

Guest Alipally

We are going with John Mason too, and the cost is about the same as Ali's with all the insurance etc...

They're packing, they're unpacking and taking away the rubbish too!

Spoke to them today due to be shipped out 23rd July arrive in Adelaide on 12 Sept... then there's customs.... 2-4 weeks???

We should have somewhere to live by then!!

• 1 month later...

I think we will probably use Anglo Pacific. They were the more expensive quote of our 3 (but will ask them to lower it see if they do). But they just seemed to be better equipped and more knowledgeable than Pickfords (they are dodgy financially, the holding company is in receivership in US and they are selling off fragments of the business) and I didnt like the other one we had round (can't remember their name either!).

Think will book it in the next week or so. Exciting. We are doing a 20ft container (altho apparently we have a bit of room for some more stuff... time to go shopping then!).

Have decided to take fridge freezer and w/ mach. can't get good old John Lewis white goods in Adelaide can i?! (Although I know I will soon be a david jones wannabee...)

Guest Aussie pat

I agree with what everyone else has said. We are using *********, who's quote is in line with everyone else. We have also been warned about not packing ourselves as customs will be suspicious.

I used Pickfords when I moved to the UK and made the mistake of telling them the storage firm I would be using. My goods arrived early and were abandoned out in the open in the storage firm's yard because Pickfords didn't ring me first. Obviously I had been waiting for their call before I contacted the storage company who had no idea what was going on. As a result my insurance was voided and I couldn't claim for any damage. I would never use them again as their whole attitude was very unhelpful and uninterested.

Guest swampo

We had three quotes - Robinsons, PSS, John Mason - all very nice chaps who came round. Quotes varied by about £600. We chose to go with Robinsons, who are local to us, although their quote was not the cheapest at first. We went back to them and asked them what thir best price was in light of the other quotes we received. It still wasn't the cheapest (only by about £100) but we chose them anyway. Also worth asking if they will reduce insurance, think we got 0.5% off original quote. They wil do all the packing for us.

They are coming in to 'ship' us 28/9th August so hope it all goes OK, fed up with living with packing cases all around us.

We have been haggling with a local company - Burke Brothers and the dreaded Pickfords. Got the quote down to £3200 (from an original £3900) and the insurance for 1.61% + 0.2% for pairs and sets. That is for a 20ft sole use and includes all of the packing etc. Apparently the companies would have long since stopped bargaining with us a year ago, but the current climate is seeing them make more cuts. Bargains to be had!

Guest coleman

Hi all

We to are trying to decide whether to take everything or buy out there?

i thing that worries me is how do you manage for 3 months untill you get your stuff as all rentals we`ve seen are unfurinshed? and we would still need to re buy the basics. confused....

Any advice

Cheers

Debbie Phill Jack and Laura

Guest caoimhe
Hi all

We to are trying to decide whether to take everything or buy out there?

i thing that worries me is how do you manage for 3 months untill you get your stuff as all rentals we`ve seen are unfurinshed? and we would still need to re buy the basics. confused....

Any advice

Cheers

Debbie Phill Jack and Laura

Hi Debbie

Have a look at this thread for some advice

Do we ship everything out OR start again?