mobile phone providers

masha

Hi all,

We're moving to Adelaide at the end of May. Ideally we are going to put Australian Sim cards into our UK bought samsung phones. Can anyone recommend a particular provider or suggest which ones to avoid!

Also how easy is it to get a contract as we will not have a permanent address when we first arrive.

many thanks

Maria.

Are your phones unlocked? That's the only thing I would check with before you arrive. I know I bought an unlocked UK PAYG phone when I was back over there last year and had to ask if it was unlocked as many of them are not. Only one or two providers offered unlocked phones and I think I ended up going to Phones 4 U for one.

I'd just get on PAYG to get you started and up and running quickly. Then shop around for a decent deal for a contract at a later date. We are on contracts and also get our broadband with it and don't pay much overall each month. And we get good data/bandwidth deal on the mobiles, plus loads of texts and free calls. I think we are with Optus or Telstra, can't remember which. TBH most of the main ones have decent coverage, just a case of finding what suits your needs. Think we used PAYG for the first month or two till we got broadband sorted and both our mobiles included on the deal.

I highly recommend Amaysim. They use the Optus network and only do 'sim only' plans, so you need to bring your own phone.

They are cheap, a great service, good customer service and recently have started to include unlimited calls and text messages to the UK (including calls to UK mobiles!) - just not including photo messages. They used to have generous inclusions to overseas calls, but now they're unlimited - which is fantastic for anyone who wants to call friends/family - I know not everyone is on Skype/facetime, especially oldies.

We moved to Adelaide last June and did the same thing putting Australian sim cards into our UK phones. We contacted our UK provider to unlock our phones before we left but also explained what we planned to do and they recommended putting our UK sims back in our phones every few months and then make a call or send a text otherwise we would lose our UK numbers. We are doing this as its useful to keep these numbers when we go back for visits so we don't have to use our Australian sims back in the UK.

A lot depends on where you will live Having just moved to Kangarilla my son is going to have to change from Optus to Telstra as too many problems with coverage etc He is missing vital calls which are going straight to message bank Prices with Telstra are dearer but seemingly coverage is much better It has taken him a week of trying to contact Optus and much frustration before they have finally said they will release him from his contract because his buisness is suffering

We had Optus internet at happy valley and it was rubbish - I had to use a dongle as we had a pair gain line which would not carry the Internet and Telstra would not change it as they said the line was ok for the phone

we eventually had an aerial installed under the government broadband guarantee because we had such poor reception

I highly recommend Amaysim. They use the Optus network and only do 'sim only' plans, so you need to bring your own phone.

They are cheap, a great service, good customer service and recently have started to include unlimited calls and text messages to the UK (including calls to UK mobiles!) - just not including photo messages. They used to have generous inclusions to overseas calls, but now they're unlimited - which is fantastic for anyone who wants to call friends/family - I know not everyone is on Skype/facetime, especially oldies.

Up until last month I agreed with this. Then my partner had a bill $40 odd more than normal. When he phoned up they said he had been charged for some calls to 131 numbers, which should be included. They didn't know why. They were numbers he phones regularly and hadn't been charged for before. To stop it happening again they changed his account to a pre paid one and dropped him down to a new cheaper plan. So they said he wouldn't pay anything next month and would get $8 off the month after as he now has credit from the calls he shouldn't have been charged for. What would you know, he has been charged for this month. He's yet to phone up AGAIN to try to sort it out. :-/

We have vodaphone mobiles and I got a contract almost as soon as we arrived, however, they did want proof if employment. I had a job but my OH didn't so he had a PAYG but we got another contract phone within a couple of months. We pay $70 each per month which included a phone, 3G data and 300mins international calls. National calls and texts are unlimited. Service coverage is very good. Rarely lose service although not been out bush!.