• 1 Post By NicF
    • 1 Post By Hughes'Roberts

Thread: Internet - why is it so hard!

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep

Internet - why is it so hard!

I've just been told after waiting a long time that I won't be getting a connection with Telstra to enable me to have Internet until 14th December. I want to cry mainly because it's so far away and I've been trying to organise internet since Sept 1st, and also because I fly home to the uk for Christmas that day so I have to cancel it!

Has anyone else had such a complete nightmare getting connected? I'm feeling vexed and stressed and upset mainly because the entire process has been SO painful.

Internet and telecommunications are a necessity these days, not a luxury. I'm amazing it's so difficult and that it takes so long.

Any advice or help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
      Liked
      1287 times
      Rep
      Yep, we had exactly the same problem when we moved in to our house. We had a phone line but couldn't get ADLS broadband but Telstra never really gave a reason why although we are pretty sure now that there were no ports available. We were told that we would have to just keep putting in requests and if a port came free at the point our request went in we would get it but there were no waiting lists for one. We gave up with Telstra and went with Internode as they were cheaper for the phone line and were more helpful when requesting ADSL even when they couldn't help. Eventually we got a connection through Internode and then later we switched to go with Internode DSLAM (basically Internodes own equipment at the exchange). We also tried to get a connection with one of the wireless companies but couldn't get a clean line of site to the wireless towers. A friend at work has wireless as couldn't get ADSL and is very happy with it. Speeds are generally much better than ADSL and it works reliably. Might be worth considering instead of using Telstra.

While we were waiting for an ADSL connection we used a 4G dongle which was fine when the 4G worked but it kept dropping out and there was only a small download limit. We now have a 4G modem with VividWireless for my OH's work which is $89 a month for a 10mbps connection with unlimited download. This works brilliantly and if you can't get a wireless connection I would highly recommend it.
      Last edited by NicF; 14-10-2016 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Correction
      Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.
      Dale Carnegie 1888-1955, Author and Lecturer

Title
      Liked
      1287 times
      Rep
      Just to summarise, you don't have to use Telstra to get internet. Try
      https://www.nuskope.com.au
      https://unitiwireless.com
      http://www.vividwireless.com.au

There are other places as well. Just google wireless broadband Adelaide.
      Last edited by NicF; 14-10-2016 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Added a bit
      Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving.

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by NicF View Post
      Just to summarise, you don't have to use Telstra to get internet. Try
      https://www.nuskope.com.au
      https://unitiwireless.com
      http://www.vividwireless.com.au

There are other places as well. Just google wireless broadband Adelaide.
      Thank you :)

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      I've just signed up with nuskope! Thank you :) let's hope I have more luck here. Will keep you posted haha

Literary do not understand why this process is so difficult. Maybe wireless is the way forward!!

NicF likes this.

Title
      Liked
      1287 times
      Rep
      The problem is the infrastructure is really old and not really able to cope with the growing demand but is not being upgraded or replaced because of the roll out of he NBN. Which is okay if you have NBN in your area but not so great if you don't and if you aren't likely to for a few years yet. These problems are why the wireless places are doing so well as they offer an alternative that actually works.
      FranMarie likes this.

Title
      Liked
      104 times
      Rep
      We feel your pain! We too had a nightmare. We approached a few providers. Telstra could provide however no line so we would of had to pay $300 connection. We really didnt want to pay this as we are in a rental and we wont be at this address for long.

Anyway we found a ISP called Vividwireless. Its brilliant. Not had any drop outs and speed is great. We can use it anywere we go.
      If anyone signs up, there is an option to enter a discount code. Put in 83931 as you get a month free. (Its a refer a friend code) if for some reason it expires. You can google another one but searching vividwireless reviews.
      GARRY, NATALIE & CAYSON - PERMANENT RESIDENT VISA GRANTED JULY 2011 - VISA VALIDATION TRIP COMPLETED MARCH 2012 - ARRIVED IN OZ 29th AUGUST 2013 -LITTLE HUGHSIE BORN SEPT 2014 - RETURNED TO UK FOR 12 MONTHS -VERY HAPPY TO BE BACK IN ADELAIDE JUNE 2016!!!

Title
      Liked
      578 times
      Rep
      When we were renting we passed that connection fee to the landlord...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      If you wanna a beer....PM me

Daniel, 31 and Stephanie, 30, Arrived 30th April 2008 and LOVING IT!!!

Title
      Liked
      104 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by scooterdan View Post
      When we were renting we passed that connection fee to the landlord...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      I wish our Landlord was as kind as yours!
      Ours wouldnt even meet us half way!
      GARRY, NATALIE & CAYSON - PERMANENT RESIDENT VISA GRANTED JULY 2011 - VISA VALIDATION TRIP COMPLETED MARCH 2012 - ARRIVED IN OZ 29th AUGUST 2013 -LITTLE HUGHSIE BORN SEPT 2014 - RETURNED TO UK FOR 12 MONTHS -VERY HAPPY TO BE BACK IN ADELAIDE JUNE 2016!!!

Title
      Liked
      6 times
      Rep
      So after saying I wanted to cancel, Internode have managed to connect me within days. Amazing! ....but also leaves me puzzled as to why it has to be so stressful / painful in the first place! Ah well :)

•