White Goods

Guest hollyc

Guest hollyc

Hi everyone

We have just got a quote from a shipping company, and it has got us thinking about what we're bringing with us! Has anyone got any advice about taking fridge/freezers, dishwashers etc...?? Are the standard sizes the same here and there?? What are prices like!? Do you think bringing them is worth it over buying new!? Opinions wanted please!!

Cheers

Holly

we did not bring any only our washing machine. The fridges and freezers may be best to get out here as due to the heat not sure if the uk ones are man enough.

Best thing to get an idea of prices is to check out some on line shops such as Good Guys and Harvey Norman to see what prices are like for what you are after.

We got most of our electrical stuff from Good Guys as we found them to be cheaper on the whole

When you are in Aus. you will probably need a lot larger fridge/freezer than the UK, as so much more gets stored in it. Fruit & Veg for instance, which we normally stored in a cupboard in the UK.

Beer also takes up a large proportion of Fridge space as you cant offer an Aussie a warm beer!!!

Most homes have a space allowed for a fridge/freezer and this will determine the size you can fit in, but get the biggest possible. Washing machines are a different matter, but you do get a government allowance of A$200 to buy a water efficient model, and the prices are I think quite reasonable, especially as you can normally do a deal with the store.

hi ya i brought my hoover washing machine (1400spin turbo model) its working just it did in uk, bouncing around and making lots of noises lol, fridge we sold in house as the gases in fridge just travel very well and wont really work once its here besides you can get cheap ex-rented fridge/freezers mine is 5 foot high and 2.5 foot wide cost me $500 delivered dish washer dont bother most rented places come with it fitted in kitchen

alex

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

If you are bringing a container over, bring everything with you if it is in good condition, the thought of buying everything new on arrival is great but you will be surprised how it all adds up.

Fridges and freezers from the UK will work fine and dishwashers are cheaper in the UK, not sure if I agree with duncan-clan about the fact that most rentals come with a fitted dishwasher?

Guzzler

Guest motlyman

We sold everything and bought new here.

The cost of the container outweighed the cost of buying new. (But the dollar was worth $2.46 at the time)

Also what about warranty claims? Couldnt really send it back for repair!

We bought only personal stuff in boxes.

Colin

Guest Ellie

White goods are the only thing I have been advised not to bother taking as the ones in OZ are geared up differently because of the heat over there (so I'm told). Plus I want a nice big one that you can get crushed ice and constant cold water from :jiggy:However I think we will take a container and will take most of our things but again all wooden furniture and bamboo will be treated and we will be charged for it so I'm still deciding. Most packaging companies will come and give a quote and will advise you on what they think to take or leave when they are going round the house. I want to take all my dining room furniture and wall units as these would be costly to replace but I don't know what they charge for treating it on the other side!

Guest Deb17

I'd sell everything and fit your new place out from IKEA, Le Cornu or Fantastic Furniture...might be cheaper in the long run! I can't afford Harvey Norman prices like the posh lot above!

If you're renting when you come over you have to consider whether your UK stuff will fit into a rental place - some are really poky. There are still things stuck in the garage we don't have room for. And I agree with Guzzler about the dishwasher - it's a luxurious bonus if you find a rental with one. Any wooden furniture you do bring shouldn't need to be treated before it's passed by quarantine anyway - our small (IKEA) bookshelves didn't need to be.

Guest Deb17

Oh yeah, you were talking about white goods! Go to the Good Guys - pay less for cash! Well that's their motto - hope this isn't classed as advertising! We got a washer and a fridge/freezer pretty cheap and they're still going strong after two years.

Guest stufi1997

Famous last words Deb.....Hope you've not just jinxed them, I'm sure you'll let us know if they pack in though!! Give you something else to rage about!!!

We got our fridge freezer and washing machine from Adelaide funiture and electrical(a second hand shop) for $850 which includes a 6 month warranty...You can do things cheap if you want to, I would say if you're taking lots of other stuff over then consider it, if they are really good ones, but don't bother otherwise, More economic to buy replacemants i reckon Fiona

Guest Ellie

eew I didn't mean to come across posh! It's just that it took 3 years to pay for my furniture and I find it hard to part with. As for the fridge with the posh crushed ice and cold water it's cus all my mates have one and I can't afford one:sad: so it would be a good excuse for a new one. I suppose I could leave my furniture and get IKEA. But I will struggle to leave my 3 piece as that took ages to pay for too. Oh decisions decisions but well worth it. I'm happy to pack a bin liner and just go at the moment!

We were advised not to bring our English fridge with us in 1982 but did so anyway as company were paying for the move. Acted as my bar fridge for 25 years...packed up a year ago. Sorry to see it go!

Guest morgie@51
I'd sell everything and fit your new place out from IKEA, Le Cornu or Fantastic Furniture...might be cheaper in the long run! I can't afford Harvey Norman prices like the posh lot above!

Blimey Deb, Ikea, you must be really posh we've been best customers of the Salvos and Mrs Bankrupt's Dump House :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:.

As for fridge freezers we got a 470 litre one with 90 day warranty delivered for $380 - bargain to the tight fisted accountant in the North :biglaugh:

Guest ali@51

Hi rach,

must have been. They had a load of brand new 2 seater sofas when we were their and and ace oak table. Living with the accountant who has short arms and deep pockets you learn to love cheeeeeeeep places. Cant complain 2 much though as the sofas are really quite nice.

Guest Deb17

Blimey Deb, Ikea, you must be really posh we've been best customers of the Salvos and Mrs Bankrupt's Dump House :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:.

As for fridge freezers we got a 470 litre one with 90 day warranty delivered for $380 - bargain to the tight fisted accountant in the North :biglaugh:

Morgan, wish to God I'd known about Mrs Bankrupt when we arrived in Oz --- wouldn't have wasted so much dosh buying horrible leather lounges from Le Cornu which are now scratched to bu88ery after lugging them from rental to rental! I love a bargain me...nothing wrong with being tight-fisted, but I thought accountants were usually the ones splashing the contents of their enormous paypackets all around places like Harvey Normans...$4,000 for a leather corner sofa, I ask you!!!! I could buy a car for that, seats included and I wouldn't have to be stuck sitting in the lounge enduring hubby watching the footy!

Guest ali@51

Hmmmmmmm If he is splashing the cash it isnt in my direction! Must start to check the visa bills more carfully as he must be spending it on someone:mad:. However I think in reality he just sashes alllllllllll that dosh under the bed and counts it for fun:biglaugh::biglaugh:. That is if it ever existed! I think he should have got into tax and then he might have found this mythical enormous pay packet!!!!!!

Guest katsmajic

Ellie, i too dreamed of the huge FF with the ice crusher etc, but alas it aint gona happen in rental land!!!

For one there isnt usually the space allocated and 2ndly you would have to start messing with the plumbing...

It is still on my dream list for when we eventually get our own place! (theyl prob be out of date by then and cheap):)

Goodguys are great, lil tip - if you look on the barcode on the side of the packaging/item there is a number...

say the item is advertised at $899.99 the code on the side are would say 76999 for example, that is the minimum cash price they can drop to, so it depends on how much your eager salesman likes you as to how much discount they will give you but it would only be to figure on the side as a max....

We got our pretty huge FF, huge/fab washing machine, hoover and alarm clock/radio from them for $1400 but then got $200 back on gthe washing machine.