Book lover seeking cheap books

Guest katieb

Guest katieb

Hello,

Can anyone advise me if there is an Australian website similar to Amazon as I am struggling to find anywhere who doesn't charge twice the price to what I would usually pay back in the UK.

Thanks in advance

Katie

I've ordered dvds from amazon so i think you might get books too now. Otherwise try sourcing from the us as the A$ is almost the same as $US, however their postage can be expensive. Books are expensive in Australia, unless you are after mainstram bestseller types which you can pick up usually quite a bit cheaper from kmart, Big w type shops.

Guest jamesholmes_@hotmail.com

Hey, i found Fishpond.com.au i have ordered quite a few books from there and also set myself up a wishlist for my birthday and friends and family in the UK also ordered me books off there and they were delivered straight to my house.

Guest Deb17

Why don't you just have a look for some second hand bookshops or charity shops and do the enviro friendly thing of recycling them? Don't know where you are but there's a good second hand bookshop in Christie's Beach. And I remember seeing a lovely one in Goolwa but possibly a bit far to go! I quite like the character of 'used' books and as long as they're not mildewed and manky second hand bookshops can provide you with some bargains! I've seen some quite recent releases on offer too, not always ancient, dusty tomes.

Guest katsmajic

Try the Salvo's, ive bought loads of books from them already - usually $1 each, and its amazing what you can pick up, theres the usual trashy quick fix novels and some great books too.

Guest katieb

Thank you all for your suggestions I will certainly give the 2nd hand book shops a try (might even be able to get rid of the ones that I have already read) :)

Hi I use to buy tons of books in the UK (Asda and Tesco - you couldn't beat those prices) but here they really are extortionate here and even Ebay doesn't work out that cheaply due to the postal costs. I have joined the library and use it regularly. I find that they have all the new releases and if not in stock they source them from another library and I usually have it within a week (free of charge - as are DVD's Toys and computer games). Tina P is also a dab hand at finding gems in the Opshop, which she passes on!

Lindsey