On Arrival In Adelaide ?? !! ??

Guest MitchKeza

Guest MitchKeza

Hello PIA,

Does anyone have a written priority list of things to do on arrival in Oz. I know that I must change my driving licence to an Australian one, and get a tax file number but as we havent even got a case worker yet I am not sure if the Immigration Agents supply this kind of list. If anyone does have a list can you post it on here please or PM me. I just want to be ready upon arrival next June. Thank you. Regards.... Mitchkeza.

Guest Nicky, Alan and Kids

Hi, when we arrived we just went into the city and changed our driving licence over, it does cost $ but can't remember how much, our tax file numbers are easy to get we ours on line at the local tax office in Adelaide the lady set us up on the computer and away we went, we got them through within a couple of weeks, also you need to sort out medicare again we did this it the city, a word of advice carry your passport with you when you sort all this out as they do ask you for ID.

Nicky

@Mitchkeza....

Link to Governments 'things to do first list':

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/settle-in-australia/to-do-first/index.htm

@Nicky...

If it takes 2 weeks to get a TFN, do you know if it is possible/legal to work in those weeks? I thought it would be pretty much instant to obtain a number and didn't realise it would take that long.

Guest sam2500

Hi All,

Just a quirie about things to do on arrival in Adelaide, re, driver's licence?

Have just read on a Government site that you are allowed to drive for 3 months and then you have to take, driver's test again? :unsure:

Has anyone had that experience ?

Thanks.

Sam2500

Guest mubley

If you are an overseas visitor looking to reside in SA you also have three months to surrender your overseas licence and obtain one from SA. Due to similar driving standards in some countries you may not have to complete any further testing to obtain the SA licence, there is a list of pre-approved on the link included below. If the country that issued your licence is not on this list you will be required to sit a written test, after which, you will receive a temporary one month licence. Within this one month period you must book and complete a driving test. The link they are referring to is:

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licences_certification/drivers/overseas_residents.asp

Guest deborah
yes it's legal to work while you are waiting for your tax file number, you have about a month to submit it to your work usually, just tell them you are waiting for it.

Jobs that I have been looking at state "must have residency" does that mean the permanent visa when granted and validated or do you have to live there for a while to get residency?

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Jobs that I have been looking at state "must have residency" does that mean the permanent visa when granted and validated or do you have to live there for a while to get residency?
It would depend on what visa you are getting you should already know whether it is a temporary visa or a permanent residency visa.

Guest deborah
It would depend on what visa you are getting you should already know whether it is a temporary visa or a permanent residency visa.

It is 175 permanent residency but at what point are you classed as having residency?

Just need to know re applying for jobs,

Debs

Guest Amelia&Fred

we're on a 495 visa which is a temporary visa but for tax purposes we're residents so we pay less tax (same tax as an aussie), no jobs i went for were bothered that it was not "permanent" as such. We haven't changed our licenses yet as you have three months to do it... and you don't have to take a test if you have a uk license thankfully!! :)

it's so easy to get stuff done here...

amelia and fred

http://www.funkeldink.com